Engineer / Senior / Staff Physical Design EngineerApply now
Piece Together The World’s Most Powerful Puzzle
This world has a design. It’s infinite yet discoverable. Small yet powerful. Our design engineers must all at once predict it and create it. From implementation of the most advanced CPU, GPU and HPC processors on the planet to dreaming up every eventuality that could put our SoC and system IP to the test, we puzzle over the biggest questions of our time. And microarchitect the future.
We are the POP Implementation team which is part of Physical Design Group(PDG) at Arm.
POP team is an experience to see the bigger picture of technical, business and problem solving aspects through the journey of building Arm CPU, GPU, NPU and Interconnect implementations. So what are the aspects we touch upon a daily basis?
- We do the physical implementation of Arm’s latest CPU, GPU, NPU and Interconnect IP!
- We have exposure to advanced and mainstream technology nodes(3nm/5nm/7nm/12nm/22nm) across multiple foundries!
- We indulge in path-finding of Performance, Power and Area(PPA) metrics using optimized recipes along with backend closure that’s representative of a tape-out.
- We develop physical implementation flows and exercise PPA tuning across multiple vendor based EDA flows(Cadence/Synopsys) in parallel.
- We work closely with Arm sales, marketing and end customers to refine the physical IP and implementation products.
- Contribute in brainstorming ideas, approaches and recipes on all products being crafted in the team.
- Learn the intricacies of supporting products across different market segments like Client, Infrastructure, Automotive, IOT and Machine Learning.
- You will be encouraged to build implementations of Arm CPU/GPU class designs using PDG’s optimized physical IP.
- The process involves RTL setup, integration of memory models, creation of floorplans and finding the rewarding recipe of synthesis / P&R flow.
- The primary objective would be to optimize performance, power and area as required by the Arm IP and the associated market segment.
- In terms of backend closure, you will need to take the design through STA, EM, IR drop, signoff DRC and other types of verification steps.
- There are lighter aspects related to DFT(scan insertion, compression and ATPG) and Gate-level simulations to report power.
- Your daily job will demand a lot of handshaking with physical IP teams who are responsible for “optimized” standard cell and memories.
- There is a need to engage with EDA partners in an independent manner to create and deploy recipes related to EDA tools.
- You will see exposure to commercial teams at Arm. This will extend to end customers also as you evolve over time.
Required Skills and Experience :
- Bachelors/Masters with 3-12 years of minimum experience in Physical Design domain.
- Values communication as a key medium to nurture learning, builds trust with others and solves sophisticated problems with dependencies.
- Strong understanding in the RTL2GDSII flow for leading or mainstream process technologies.
- Good understanding of the concepts related to synthesis, place & route, CTS, timing convergence, IR/EM checks and signoff DRC/LVS closure.
- Expertise on optimizing for cost functions like performance, power and/or area is like gold dust.
- Working experience with tools like DC/Genus, ICC2/Innovus, Primetime/Tempus and others relevant for physical implementation.
“Nice To Have” Skills and Experience :
- Any implementation experience on Arm CPU and GPU IP designs would be excellent.
- High-level know-how related to foundation IPs like standard cells and memories fits well with our work.
- Good automation skills in PERL, TCL and EDA tool specific scripting can be impactful.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect, where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. Arm prohibits discrimination or harassment of any kind based on race/ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, disability, neuro-diversity, pregnancy, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military/veteran status, as well as those characteristics protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Accommodations at Arm
At Arm, we want our people to Do Great Things. If you need support or an accommodation to Be Your Brilliant Self during the recruitment process, please email email@example.com. To note, by sending us the requested information, you consent to its use by Arm to arrange for appropriate accommodations. All accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality, and information concerning these requests will only be disclosed as necessary to provide the accommodation. Although this is not an exhaustive list, examples of support include breaks between interviews, having documents read aloud or office accessibility. Please email us about anything we can do to accommodate you during the recruitment process.
Hybrid Working at Arm
Arm’s hybrid approach to working is centred around flexibility, where we split our time between the office and other locations to get our work done. We empower groups/teams to determine their hybrid working pattern, with an expected minimum attendance in the office of 20% per month, depending on the work, level of experience and team’s needs. In some cases, the flexibility we can offer is limited by local legal, regulatory, tax, or other considerations, and where this is the case, we will collaborate with you to find the best solution.
Equal Opportunities at Arm
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Work At The Very Edge
At Arm, you’re in a position to influence 95% of the world’s connected devices and all of their applications. Healthcare, infrastructure, virtual reality… you’ll affect hundreds, if not thousands of industries worldwide, racing towards new milestones in human endeavour.
Learning And Development
Whether you want to learn a new programming language, explore your management potential or witness the latest innovations at industry conferences, we promise you both the freedom and the support to develop when you want it.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid four-week sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. So it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, our flexible progressive leave allows you to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform, Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy, so you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Life At Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.