Job header section
Staff Software Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Location: Cambridge or Manchester
- Active involvement in the software design of reference application processor firmware
- Your day to day role will involve low level software development, test and debug on various platforms, including software models, development boards and shipping products
- Leading and line managing a small team of developers.
- Creating software stacks for Arm’s reference platforms for future Arm devices
- We want you to be able to analyse industry specs, roadmap requirements, breakdown tasks and help implement the project plans
- We would like you to aspire to provide the best technical advice and direction to both Arm's, and Arm Partners', platform implementation projects
- Your activities will involve upstreaming and maintenance
- You have expertise in application / low level systems and a command over a range of related concepts such as bootloaders, device drivers, OS fundamentals preferably Linux.
- Excellent C / C++skills! Able to add significant new functionality and analyse and fix complex defects.
- Your strong interpersonal skills are vital for success; we are looking for excellent written and spoken English. Do you have the capability to support key partners with their internal development programs?
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge
- Able to develop a good understanding of how the team integrates with other related teams in accomplishing its objectives.
- We value familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes
- Experience with leadership roles, driving and coordinating projects
- A knowledge of how to test software using various techniques
- Familiarity and flexibility in the use of various software development lifecycle methods including Agile
- Have an awareness of the value of CI and automated test systems
Equal Opportunities at Arm
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Hybrid Working at Arm
Arm’s hybrid approach to working is centred around flexibility, where we split our time between the office and other locations to get our work done. We empower groups/teams to determine their hybrid working pattern, with an expected minimum attendance in the office of 20% per month, depending on the work, level of experience and team’s needs. In some cases, the flexibility we can offer is limited by local legal, regulatory, tax, or other considerations, and where this is the case, we will collaborate with you to find the best solution.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.
I'm loving my job as a Senior Software Engineer because I get to work with the latest cloud technologies like AWS and Kubernetes to try and make our engineers more efficient and making continuous delivery systems.Sophie Carsten Glassdoor logo
Being a Software Engineer at Arm means that you'll have the opportunity to work on ground-breaking technology that shape the world around us.Konstantinos Monachopoulos Glassdoor logo
The Arm technology has a massive impact on the world and you can see that from the 2000 people we were a few years ago to the 6000 we are today. That in itself leads to loads of opportunities to work on cool stuff and for your career.Ross Keeping Glassdoor logo
If you're a Software Engineer with generic skill sets, whether that's C, Python or whatever it might be – you'd come here to beat problems on a scale that no one else is doing.Michael Williams Glassdoor logo