Job header section
Staff RTL Design Engineer
job navigation section
Hardware at Arm
You know us. With 125 Arm-powered products shipped every second, we'll be in a over a trillion smart devices by 2035. Your smartphone, award-winning VR gaming, the world's fastest supercomputer – our engineers are designing the advanced core processors leading the race towards a connected, autonomous, hyper-performance future.
So, we promise you endless opportunities to experiment and go even further in hardware. From advanced core implementation to full custom physical IPs, here you'll have our backing to push limits in vital areas such as memory, IO and logic.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
This position is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic RTL design engineer looking for a fast-paced role employing the latest hardware design and verification methodologies to develop complex and highly configurable hardware IP that sit at the heart of Arm-based Systems!
About System IP
Working as the System IP team and engaging with the world’s most famous technology companies, we are driving innovation into all areas that compute is possible to help us build better solutions for the billions of people using our technology worldwide. The System IP team leads the creation of a range of advanced Arm IP, like Interconnects/NoCs, MMUs and ISPs used in multiple cutting edge products targeting high-end mobile, networking, and enterprise markets!
Our Interconnect team develops the Arm Corelink Interconnect IP family. This highly scalable IP is designed for intelligently connected AMBA-compliant SoC connectivity and can be customised for multiple performance points.
Our SMMU team is responsible for the development of next-generation Arm SMMU, a key component of the Arm Architecture that provides critical and complex functionalities that complement systems design with Arm processors and Multimedia IP.
What will I be accountable for?
A Principal Design Engineer will be responsible for leading the development of one or more functional blocks of the IP. They are required to have in-depth understanding across all the elements that contribute to the products’ successful delivery, including low-power design techniques, awareness of the impact of design decisions on system performance, ability to produce designs that are area efficient, and the verification techniques that are employed to ensure high-quality cutting edge designs
Key accountabilities will be
- Leading the feasibility analysis of suggested architectures and algorithms to craft creative microarchitecture design solutions and specifications in collaboration with other specialists
- Logic implementation as well as front-end implementation tasks like synthesis, logic equivalence check, and STA
- The planning, tracking and coordinating of both individual tasks and those of your team to meet high quality goals at the planned time
- Working closely with the verification team to share the responsibility of delivering high quality hardware designs, including debugging functional or performance issues with the RTL using simulation and debug tools
- Improving design methodology across the System IP group and wider Arm design community
- Providing direction and mentoring to other members of your team as they learn new things and solve complex problems.
Essential skills and experience
- Demonstration of a strong delivery record of high quality, low power, high performance complex micro-architecture and RTL implementations in reasonable timescales.
- Be able to navigate and make high-level design trade-offs and articulate the rationale for those choices.
- Knowledgeable on ASIC/FPGA design methodology, IP signoff methods with a deep understanding on timing/area/complexity trade-offs for complex data path designs
- Able to plan, estimate and execute your own work and that of others
- Team leadership and mentoring experience
- CPU or compute subsystem memory micro-architecture
- Multiprocessing microarchitecture experience including knowledge of cache coherence and bus protocols (e.g. AMBA5 CHI, AMBA4 ACE or AXI)
- Experience with any of System Verilog, UVM and formal verification
- Knowledge of a scripting language such as Perl, Tcl, C shell
ARM is committed to global talent acquisition, offering an attractive relocation package.
Arm is committed to global talent acquisition. With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organisation of dedicated, creative and highly talented engineers. By enabling a dynamic, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unrivaled contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, value diversity at our company and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.