Manchester, United Kingdom; Sheffield, United Kingdom
Staff Design EngineerApply now
Piece Together The World’s Most Powerful Puzzle
This world has a design. It’s infinite yet discoverable. Small yet powerful. Our design engineers must all at once predict it and create it. From implementation of the most advanced CPU, GPU and HPC processors on the planet to dreaming up every eventuality that could put our SoC and system IP to the test, we puzzle over the biggest questions of our time. And microarchitect the future.
Work At The Very Edge
At Arm, you’re in a position to influence 95% of the world’s connected devices and all of their applications. Healthcare, infrastructure, virtual reality… you’ll affect hundreds, if not thousands of industries worldwide, racing towards new milestones in human endeavour.
Learning And Development
Whether you want to learn a new programming language, explore your management potential or witness the latest innovations at industry conferences, we promise you both the freedom and the support to develop when you want it.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid four-week sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. So it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, our flexible progressive leave allows you to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform, Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy, so you can live life and be your brilliant self.
ARM’s hardware is at the heart of the computing and connectivity revolution that continues to transform the way people live and businesses operate.
This position is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic RTL design engineer looking for a fast-paced role employing the latest hardware design and verification methodologies to develop complex and highly configurable hardware IP that sit at the core of Arm-based Systems!
Would you like to be part of creative, multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural environment, in a role with exciting responsibilities and a chance to create an impact on our industry ? We would love to hear from you!
About System IP
Working as the System IP team and engaging with the world’s most famous technology companies, we are driving innovation into all areas that compute is possible to help us build better solutions for the billions of people using our technology worldwide. The team owns the creation of a range of sophisticated Arm IP, like Interconnects/NoCs, MMUs and ISPs used in multiple innovative products targeting high-end mobile, networking, and enterprise markets!
Our Interconnect team develops the Arm Corelink Interconnect IP family. This highly scalable IP is designed for intelligently connected AMBA-compliant SoC connectivity and can be customised for multiple performance points.
What will I be accountable for?
A Staff Design Engineer will be responsible for owning the development of one or more functional blocks of the IP. They are required to have in-depth understanding across all the elements that contribute to the products’ successful delivery, including low-power design techniques, awareness of the impact of design decisions on system performance, ability to produce designs that are area efficient, and the verification techniques that are employed to ensure high-quality cutting edge designs
Key accountabilities will be
- Leading the feasibility analysis of suggested architectures and algorithms to craft creative microarchitecture design solutions and specifications in collaboration with other specialists
- The planning, tracking and coordinating of both individual tasks and those of your team to meet high quality goals at the planned time
- Work closely with engineers across performance modelling, validation, and implementation to meet all functional requirements, performance, power and area goals
- Improving design methodology across the group and wider Arm design community
- Providing direction and mentoring to other team members as they learn new things and tackle complex problems.
Essential skills and experience
- Demonstration of a strong delivery record of high quality, low power, high performance complex micro-architecture and RTL implementations using System Verilog, Verilog or VHDL HDL in reasonable timescales.
- Be able to navigate and make high-level design trade-offs and articulate the rationale for those choices.
- Knowledgeable on ASIC/FPGA design methodology, IP signoff methods with a deep understanding on timing/area/complexity trade-offs for complex data path designs
- Experience of producing specifications and documentation describing complex designs
- Multiprocessing microarchitecture experience including knowledge of cache coherence and bus protocols (e.g. AMBA5 CHI, AMBA4 ACE or AXI)
- Able to plan, estimate and execute your own work and that of others
- Team leadership and mentoring experience
- CPU or compute subsystem memory micro-architecture
- Solid understanding of SystemVerilog Assertions (SVA) and formal verification
- Knowledge of a scripting language such as Perl, Tcl, C shell
- Knowledge of assembly language (preferably ARM), C/C++ and/or hardware verification languages e.g. SystemVerilog
ARM is committed to global talent acquisition, offering an attractive relocation package. With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organisation of dedicated, creative and highly talented engineers. By enabling a dynamic, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unrivalled contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life At Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.