Job header section
Staff Compiler Engineer
job navigation section
Start Your Career at Arm
Got a love for coding? Hardware design? IT project management? We're with you. Whatever you want to do, do it at the highest level. Arm is the driving force behind 70% of technology used by the world’s population – from your smartphone to VR headsets to the world’s fastest supercomputer. You'll master your craft while working with the biggest names in tech.
At the same time, your training and development will be second to none. We put our trust in you to work on big, global projects because you'll have our world-class mentors on your side, giving you just the right combination of freedom and support. And you'll also have your own development roadmap which you can pair with your choice workshops to take the skills you want to expert levels.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Are you interested in driving the success of the most powerful Arm CPUs? We are looking for expert compiler developers to join our team in Manchester, UK.
In this role you will engage directly with the LLVM community, contributing to the open-source Clang and Flang compilers. Working upstream means that you add value to a multitude of toolchains throughout the industry that build on LLVM. Your potential impact is huge!
Our commercial compiler serves the cloud compute, AI and HPC markets and are used by industry, government and academia to perform ground breaking scientific research and simulations, such as weather forecasting, modelling the big bang and simulating the human brain. Our work makes these important software workloads work best on Arm.
- Identify and implement changes to our LLVM compiler, libraries and open source applications to improve the performance of benchmark workloads and to better support Arm architectural features and core designs.
- Develop our commercial C, C++ and Fortran toolchain used across the industry as well as internal compilers that aid other teams (such as the Arm Architecture team) in their development of new architectural features.
- Participate in the open source LLVM community, including opportunities to attend and present at developer meetings.
- Develop our automated test frameworks to defend the functionality and performance of our tools.
Key Skills and Experience
Experienced with and highly competent at:
- Compiler development, particularly in the LLVM project.
- Optimising code for performance through knowledge of computer architecture and CPU design.
- C++ programming.
- Effectively communicating to persuade and influence internal or external partners.
- Applying software methodologies, tools, and processes including code review.
Note: Training may be provided for applicants that have proficiency with only a subset of these key skills.
You will be educated to degree level or have similar proven experience.
Desirable Skills & Experience
The following is a selection of skills used across our projects.
You do not need to have experience with any of these to apply or succeed in your application.
- Open source community citizenship including code commits and reviews. Personal projects are also welcome.
- Low-level programming in Arm assembly.
- Expertise with git version control system.
- Knowledge of Fortran.
- Basic Linux administration, particularly installation and maintenance.
- Test development using Continuous Integration tools such as Jenkins, and maintenance of test infrastructure using DevOps frameworks such as Chef or Ansible.
- Experience working in an Agile software development environment
Arm is a fantastic company to work for offering a competitive compensation and benefits package including leading parental and progressive leave provision.
We operate a hybrid working policy, which gives you the option to split your time between working from home and working from our office in the heart of Manchester, steps away from the dynamic life of the city centre.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
There's an open and casual atmosphere here that's so characteristic of Arm. We build spaces for continuous learning and creative expression. No matter the level of person you're approaching, they're always ready for a down-to-earth conversation. And it's easy to make friends with such a diverse network of graduates, interns, part-time undergraduates and apprentices all sticking together. Because diversity is essential to how we innovate – one reason why we're promoting more women into leadership positions.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries, and applications. So much so, there's virtually never a time or place we're not with you.