Job header section
Senior Build Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Arm is seeking a skilled and motivated Build Engineer to join our agile software development group. A new team, split between Cambridge and Manchester, is being formed to make the Mali™ GPU software developer experience first class.
This includes using and rolling out dependency management systems, build systems and developer experience tooling. There is a focus on usage and contribution back to open-source solutions. We require an amount of green field engineering and thinking, we are looking to instil change within the code-base and processes.
The role will be collaborating with multi-disciplined teams across Arm’s worldwide engineering centres. The codebase is the full stack of software that enables Mali™ GPU to be the most shipped GPU globally!
Providing a smooth developer experience, build and deployment process is key to satisfying our customers and make our engineers efficient.
The team will work closely with the infrastructure and DevOps teams. There will be significant collaboration and opportunity to influence the direction of Arm’s developer experience tools, services and solutions.
We have a consistent track record of mentoring and coaching expertise in people. This is a great opportunity to learn new skills in a friendly, collaborative, and diverse environment. Your colleagues will be multinational, dynamic, and highly motivated software engineers who will support you whilst solving daring, stimulating, and technical problems.
Do you have passion, focus and skills to deliver? We look forward to your application!
About the GPU Team
In the GPU Team, you will be working alongside the best engineers in the world, making market-leading products for the planets most successful companies. With applications in mobile, machine learning, Internet of Things, automotive, security, and embedded devices, your ideas will make a difference and you will have the chance to lead, innovate and ultimately change the world of media processing. Our Mali™ Graphics Processor is the world’s #1 shipping Graphics Processor.
We are a distributed team, working across numerous sites, and we are entering a new growth phase to provide new technologies and products for new and existing markets and are looking for multi-layered, dynamic and hardworking people to join the team.
- Evaluate and deploy build systems
- Design and implement new tooling
- Define new working processes for 200+ engineers
- Promote new process changes and tools to engineers
- Contribute and collaborate with open source projects
- Research and identify gaps in our developer experience
Skills and Experience:
- Deep understanding of build systems
- Tracking of dependencies
- Reproducible builds
- Target dependency graphs
- Resolving external dependencies
- Creating packages for package management systems
- Rolling out of a build system for medium to large C/C++ projects
- Python 3 coding skills
- Deep knowledge of Linux based systems
- Strong Git CLI skills
- Deployment of artefacts to repositories (i.e. PyPI, Conan)
- A practical, organised, and pragmatic approach to work
- Contributing to open-source projects
- Contributing to/implementing a build system
- POSIX shell scripting abilities
- Understanding/usage of continuous integration systems
- Gerrit code review
- GitLab code review
- Building and using Docker containers
- Android Open Source Project work
- Planning/breaking down future work
- Experience with rolling out incremental, backwards compatible changes to a deployment process
- Understanding of Python 3 type hints and asyncio
- CMake, Meson, Bazel, autotools, Soong
- Conan, vkpkg, bpkg
- Self-reliant and who seeks out information and learning when required
- Ability to explore problems creatively - e.g. challenge the status quo and suggest novel approaches
- Evaluate proposals critically - e.g. chipping in to design discussions and code reviews
- Address all life-cycle phases of large tasks, from specification through test and user documentation
- Take on a technical leadership role for some aspects of project work, investigations, and feasibility studies.
- Provide support and mentorship to our internal users and colleagues.
- Understand development and project processes in depth.
- Be willing to travel occasionally to Arm location in the UK and worldwide.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.