Manchester, United Kingdom; Sheffield, United Kingdom
Formal Verification EngineerApply now
Test Our Limits. Your Limits.
Every day the world invents something new to put our chips to the test. You can do the same. Because verification at Arm goes way, way beyond debugging – it’s solving the novel problems behind tech that barely exists yet. It’s working at the bleeding edge of machine learning, simulation software, model checking and hardware prototyping systems. It’s thinking the unthinkable and being sure we’re ready for it.
Work At The Very Edge
At Arm, you’re in a position to influence 95% of the world’s connected devices and all of their applications. Healthcare, infrastructure, virtual reality… you’ll affect hundreds, if not thousands of industries worldwide, racing towards new milestones in human endeavour.
Learning And Development
Whether you want to learn a new programming language, explore your management potential or witness the latest innovations at industry conferences, we promise you both the freedom and the support to develop when you want it.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid four-week sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. So it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, our flexible progressive leave allows you to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform, Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy, so you can live life and be your brilliant self.
If you have a smartphone, digital camera, digital TV, gaming console or a smart meter at home, you’ve already used an ARM Powered product. Over 900 ARM Powered chips are produced every second and over 200 billion ARM technology-based chips have been shipped to date, making us the world’s leading Intellectual Property (IP) semiconductor supplier.
The System IP teams in Sheffield and Manchester are growing rapidly. The role of the Systems group is to create the IP that complements our traditional CPU products to drive the development of the next generation of compute solutions for every area of technology, from mobile phones, to servers, to autonomous vehicles!
As part of the larger System IP team, the Verification IP (VIP) team is responsible for creating tools and components used for the verification of our hardware IP products. The VIP team is a centralised resource for delivering and supporting re-useable, reliable, correct, consistent and documented VIP to all the Arm hardware design teams spread across the world. We ensure compatibility between remotely designed components by focussing on the correctness of the interfaces between them. We work closely with the ARM architects in the definition of new interface protocols, providing inputs on the verifiability of various approaches, by providing a prototyping and modelling environment for system level communication.
We have a small and dedicated Formal team that works on developing SystemVerilog Assertion based Protocol Checkers (PC) for Formal and Simulation use. The team collaborates closely with the other Formal engineers across Arm in getting these Protocol Checkers adopted in their test environments for the next generation CPU, GPU, and System IP designs.
Delivering correct, complete, and robust PC is key to the successful verification and roll out of Arm products.
Within the Verification IP team, Formal engineers have responsibility for the architecting, authoring, and testing of our suite of SVA Protocol Checkers. You will be key in shaping and developing how formal techniques are deployed for developing protocol checkers, working with the wider formal verification community across Arm on methodology improvements and best practices.
As a Formal Engineer in the VIP team you will:
- Develop, extend, maintain, and improve our suite of SVA Protocol Checkers for Formal and Simulation use
- Work closely with other Arm teams to understand requirements and support issues
- Interact and collaborate with EDA vendors to develop new features, improve performance, and get the best out of their tools for our intended usage
- Give training and guidance on VIP usage
- Work on identifying areas of improvement to our tools and our development methodologies
- Have a deep understanding of AMBA protocols in a system context
- Work closely with Project Management on planning tasks, setting schedules and milestones and tracking the progress against committed schedules
- Mentor other junior members of the team as needed to enable the successful completion of project activities.
Good university degree (or equivalent) in Electronics or Computer Science or related subject.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Experience of architecting and implementing formal verification environments for complex IP/module level designs
- Experience of property-based model-checking or Formal Property verification
- Practical experience of writing assertions using SystemVerilog Assertions (SVA) or Property Specification Language (PSL), with an industry leading formal tool (e.g. Cadence, Mentor, Synopsys or OneSpin tools)
- Ability to quickly understand and apply complex specification details.
- Commit to solve varied and sophisticated technical challenges.
- In-depth knowledge and enthusiasm with skills to drive adoption of new techniques and methodologies with a focus on quality and efficiency.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work well as part of a team
- Self-motivated and willing to accept new challenges
'Nice To Have' Skills & Experience
- Good understanding of AMBA protocols particularly cache coherent protocols
- Design and RTL coding experience
- Perl, Python or other scripting language
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life At Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.