Job header section
Staff Software Engineering Manager
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Productivity Engineering (PE) at Arm enables our engineers by providing the engineering tools, services and methodologies that enable them to work efficiently and effectively. The Software Engineering team in PE focusses on the needs of Engineering community in Arm. We are looking for a leader for our CloudRunner development team.
It's an exciting time for the CloudRunner team! We build the Cloud Engineering platform providing the compute used to build, test and validate the next generation of Arm's technology. The platform runs workloads utilizing hundreds of thousands of concurrent vCPU’s and is used by Arm’s Hardware engineers to create their products on Arm powered cloud infrastructure.
Our days are varied and involve a mixture of developing and supporting the service and collaborating with the Arm engineering community on how best to utilize the service to build their products. We use AWS serverless technology, Lambda, Kinesis as well as S3, EKS and EC2. We also use a wide variety of Open-Source technologies including Linux, Python, Docker, Gerrit as well as commercial software tools and Cloud based infrastructure and services such as Azure DevOps.
You will lead the CloudRunner team in our Software Engineering group. The team is geographically distributed and utilizes Arm’s expertise alongside that of our development partners. You will work alongside Product Owners, Architects and SREs to deliver the Cloud Engineering platform.
What will I be accountable for
- Ensuring that your team has an effective engineering process and are not blocked from delivering great results.
- Working with your team to plan, schedule and execute on their development roadmap.
- Line management and performance coaching of individual contributors. Including recruitment, training, and development plans for your team.
- Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the software and platforms while keeping a high bar for performance, security and availability.
- A large scale, multitenant cloud-based service used by arm engineers to build and test our next generation SoC designs.
- Management of a 3rd party development partner.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
- Leading an engineering team using an agile methodology; Ideally with experience in leading a geographically distributed team.
- Delivering engineering infrastructure at scale and with high availability, using AWS and serverless technologies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including strong presentation skills.
- Experience recruiting and building and motivating a effective team.
- Experience with AWS serverless technology, Lambda, Kinesis as well as S3, EKS and EC2
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual possesses the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realise that success comes with collaboration — and that everyone misses out without it
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and be responsible for your own progress
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.