Job header section
Staff Physical Implementation Engineer
job navigation section
Hardware at Arm
You know us. With 125 Arm-powered products shipped every second, we'll be in a over a trillion smart devices by 2035. Your smartphone, award-winning VR gaming, the world's fastest supercomputer – our engineers are designing the advanced core processors leading the race towards a connected, autonomous, hyper-performance future.
So, we promise you endless opportunities to experiment and go even further in hardware. From advanced core implementation to full custom physical IPs, here you'll have our backing to push limits in vital areas such as memory, IO and logic.
One benefit we're really proud of is FlexPot; a sum of money on top of your salary (which is the same value regardless of your seniority) which you can use for charitable giving, development or your personal wellbeing. Ready to start that French language course you've always wanted to do? Or are you a keen gym-goer and want to use it for a membership? There's lots different of ways to enjoy your Flexpot.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service. You could even combine your FlexPot allowance with your sabbatical and volunteer overseas!
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Are you passionate about setting new standards in physical implementation? This is a rare opportunity to become a part of the Cambridge CPU implementation team. The CPU group defines, designs and validates Arm's processor IP - the brains inside billions of electronic devices.
As a physical implementation engineer, you will join the successful team that has enabled huge volumes of next-generation high-efficiency processors, including the hugely successful Cortex-A53, the most recent Cortex-A55 through to the smallest and most energy efficient Cortex-M0+ processors.
In this role your mandate will be to influence RTL development whilst innovating, crafting and deploying the latest implementation techniques on live projects. You will provide the quality support that our customers desire and collaborate with them to develop the best products that help influence the world, and you will have the opportunity to drive EDA vendors on leading-edge processes (eg. nm FinFET) whilst pushing the boundaries of power efficiency and influencing physical library development.
What things will you be responsible for?
Our team is tightly integrated with the RTL design teams and this gives you an unrivalled opportunity to improve your knowledge of CPU microarchitecture. Your wide-ranging set of responsibilities will include:
• The physical implementation of Arm processors using the entire implementation flow from RTL through place and route to STA
• Pursuing complex challenges like low power and methodologies for improving the efficiency of implementation
• To understand, plan and address the life-cycle phases of engineering projects
• Working with the sales and marketing teams to support the launch of new cores
• Supporting our customers and enable them to be successful in the world
• Collaborating with EDA vendors to enhance the best in class results from our processors whilst focussing on the ideal user experience
What skills and qualifications will you need?
• Good working knowledge of the entire IC design flow and knowledge of hardware description languages: Verilog or System Verilog
• Proven expertise in one or more of: synthesis, place and route, LEC and STA
• An attention to detail and tenacity to chase down problems
• Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
• Good analytical skills along with the ability for creative thinking
• An ability to effectively work alone as well as in a team
• A professional and enthusiastic approach to work
• You should have a university degree (or equivalent) in Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering or other relevant technical discipline.
What might give you the edge?
Whilst not required, we would love to find out more from you if:
• You have experience with low power design techniques (power gating, DVFS etc)
• You have knowledge of Arm based SoCs
• You are proficient in scripting languages such as Tcl, Python and Perl
• You have a deep understanding of challenges faced at the nanometre-scale
• You bring meaningful experience in the industry
• You have passion and curiosity to grow your expertise
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organisation of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling a vibrant, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.