Job header section
Staff Formal Verification Engineer
job navigation section
Hardware at Arm
You know us. With 125 Arm-powered products shipped every second, we'll be in a over a trillion smart devices by 2035. Your smartphone, award-winning VR gaming, the world's fastest supercomputer – our engineers are designing the advanced core processors leading the race towards a connected, autonomous, hyper-performance future.
So, we promise you endless opportunities to experiment and go even further in hardware. From advanced core implementation to full custom physical IPs, here you'll have our backing to push limits in vital areas such as memory, IO and logic.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
In the fast-moving world of CPU Verification, Formal Methods are becoming crucial to the success of today's ever-accelerating development cycle. Arm’s CPU Group is looking for engineers with experience in Formal Verification who desire to be at the cutting edge of applied formal methods. We are offering the chance to become part of a dedicated team that will deploy Formal on the next generation of CPU designs. This is an opportunity to influence design & verification decisions and shape the future of technology that will fuel billions of devices world-wide.
You will apply Formal Methods to CPUs developed in the Cambridge design centre, with the opportunity to collaborate with our global Formal Teams across Arm. The role entails investigating, creating, developing and deploying new Formal Verification techniques on live projects. You will use the industry’s best available tools and be in close contact with EDA tool vendors. You will work alongside Arm’s brightest formal experts to plan and implement Formal Verification to exceptional quality.
Education & Qualifications:
In order to be considered, you will need at least a Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or another relevant subject. Other STEM degree types may also be considered.
The candidate must have:
- Experience in functional verification or digital hardware design
- Familiarity with formal methods (e.g. SVA, PSL, model checking, theorem proving)
- An engineering mentality and passion for digital design
- Understanding of fundamental verification concepts
- A keen interest in processors and digital systems
- Understanding of computer architecture & micro-architectural concepts
- Knowledge of hardware description and verification languages, such as VHDL, Verilog/SystemVerilog, PSL
- Strong reasoning skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to understand and map abstract formal concepts into designs
- Creativity and ability to communicate ideas effectively
- Good inter-personal and teamwork skills
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Familiarity with industry-standard formal verification tools
- Understanding of the end-to-end verification processes, from test plan creation through to verification closure
- Proficiency in scripting languages, e.g. Python/Perl/TCL
- Proficiency in shell programming/scripting
- Familiarity with Arm architecture and instruction set
- Familiarity with model-checking techniques
- Exposure to invariants and abstractions
- Understanding of assume-guarantee reasoning
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
At Arm, we are proud to have a set of behaviours that reflect our open culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary.
These behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
- Delivery of results – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
- Partner/customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve positive outcomes.
- Creativity/innovation – Possessing curiosity and a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
- Collaboration/communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
- Personal impact/influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
- Team / personal development – You take time to drive your own development, while also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK. With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organisation of dedicated, innovative and hard-working professionals. By enabling a vibrant, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.