Cambridge, United Kingdom
Software EngineerApply now
Test Our Limits. Your Limits.
Every day the world invents something new to put our chips to the test. You can do the same. Because verification at Arm goes way, way beyond debugging – it’s solving the novel problems behind tech that barely exists yet. It’s working at the bleeding edge of machine learning, simulation software, model checking and hardware prototyping systems. It’s thinking the unthinkable and being sure we’re ready for it.
Work At The Very Edge
At Arm, you’re in a position to influence 95% of the world’s connected devices and all of their applications. Healthcare, infrastructure, virtual reality… you’ll affect hundreds, if not thousands of industries worldwide, racing towards new milestones in human endeavour.
Learning And Development
Whether you want to learn a new programming language, explore your management potential or witness the latest innovations at industry conferences, we promise you both the freedom and the support to develop when you want it.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid four-week sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. So it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, our flexible progressive leave allows you to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform, Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy, so you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Arm’s verification engineers are responsible for ensuring that Arm delivers IP at the cutting edge of technology at the highest possible quality. If you enjoy problem solving, uncovering complex corner cases and assumptions, and have a curious mind, a career as an Arm Verification Engineer is for you.
The CPU team in Cambridge has produced some of the company’s most successful products with processors designed by this group being shipped in billions of designs in use around the world today, from smartphones and tablets to AI applications, IoT, and automotive systems. This team has been responsible for developing processors from high-end A-class parts such as the Cortex-A55 and Cortex-A510, to R-class real-time processors such as Cortex-R52, Arm’s most sophisticated processor for safety, and microcontrollers in the M-class series such Cortex-M33 and Cortex-M55. The team is also responsible for Arm’s DynamIQ technology (providing safe, fast, and efficient complex data processing for AI).
This role will be based at Arm's Headquarter in Cambridge, UK.
For this role, we are looking for Software Engineers with strong analytical skills and a desire to learn about modern computer design who can contribute to all phases of the verification flow. This includes:
- Learning in detail about the Arm’s Architecture and our processor micro-architecture
- Analysing the impact and complexity of proposed architectural and micro-architectural changes, looking for potential functional, safety or security issues
- Designing Testbench infrastructure and components in order to verify our designs, focusing on:
- Developing constrained-random stimulus which can probe into corner cases too complex for humans to reason about
- Developing checkers which are abstract enough to catch any potential issues, but also designed to avoid missing corner cases
- Ownership of a specific area of a CPU project ranging from testbench development through to the overall verification methodology for a CPU project.
- Planning, tracking, and coordinating the tasks of you or your team to meet high quality goals at the planned time
- Ensuring the quality of the verification work done is of the expected standard
- Being part of verification improvement strategies across the CPU group and the wider Arm verification community
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Ability to quickly understand and apply complex specification detail
- Strong analytical skills
- Well-versed in a language such as Python, C++, SystemVerilog
- Experience of software testing libraries (both positive and negative testing), combined with an understanding of the limitations of writing directed test cases
- Some familiarity with ISAs, e.g. Arm or X86
- Some familiarity of the fundamentals of computer architecture (pipelining, exception handling, memory systems)
'Nice to Have' Skills and Experience:
- Some familiarity with concepts such as memory protection, memory translation, vector processing in CPUs, exception and interrupt handling
- In-depth technical reviewing of others’ work
- Exposure to the Arm Architecture
Arm is committed to global talent acquisition. With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organization of dedicated, creative, and highly hardworking engineers. By enabling a dynamic, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their outstanding contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life At Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.