Job header section
Senior/Staff Build and Release Engineer - Compilers
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Do you want to work in a compiler team made up of outstanding engineers, whose mission is to enable our customers to build efficient, safe and secure software for the latest Arm IP by providing reliable, easy-to-use toolchains?
We work closely with our partners, who rely on our tools to support their future successes across many markets, including networking, storage, automotive and medical.
We are looking for experienced Build and Release Engineers for an exciting and rewarding position within our Toolchain group. You will be seeking to join a small engineering team focusing on safety toolchains and be willing to challenge the status quo, share your ideas, learn from others, and push your team to find better ways of working.
We are forming a new team to support our customers in the Functional Safety domain, solving their technical problems and defects. You will work as part of this new Engineering Support team, alongside an Agile development team consisting of software engineers, testers, architect, and product owners to ensure excellent maintenance of our safety toolchain.
You will have space to develop and realise your ideas, working with wider areas of the business and improving the user experience of both our existing and new safety toolchains.
If you have appreciation about the importance of improving and maintaining quality in all aspects, you are passionate, self-starting, and keen to innovate, someone who cares about the product and its customers we would like to hear from you!
- Actively conducting the delivery of major and maintenance releases to address customer issues in a timely manner and to agreed quality criteria
- Own the quality- and delivery process of our private long term support and maintenance releases, ensuring that the software and documentation achieve the regulatory and company standards
- Actively support the continuous improvement of the wider team, pioneer new tools and methodologies to help detect and diagnose toolchain defects
- Work with a wide variety of teams including partners and the LLVM open source community
- Work with and contribute to a team aspiring to world class continuous integration and delivery
Essential Skills & Experience
- Experience of the full software development lifecycle in a commercial or open source environment
- Some C/C++ development experience, knowledge of relevant build tools
- Experience in automation using scripting languages like Python
- Experience with CI (continuous integration) tools like Jenkins, Docker, AWS
- Focus on stability and long-term sustainability of infrastructure and processes
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and willingness to interact with different teams, senior colleagues, management and occasionally with users of our toolchains
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Arm and/or embedded development experience
- Safety or software quality background, ISO26262 experience specifically is a huge advantage
- Experience using and automating Linux, Windows and macOS
- Experience in a small team/start-up environment
Education & Qualifications
Good degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science / Software Engineering, or an alternative with proven meaningful experience.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.