Job header section
Senior Firmware Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Arm’s headquarters are in the historic city of Cambridge, home to one of the world’s oldest and most admired Universities. The city is a key driver of global innovation, brand-new technologies and regularly features as one of the most desirable places to live in the UK.
As Arm’s largest engineering centre, the Cambridge site is working on development across all areas of our product portfolio. We are surrounded by world-leading technical authorities and you will relish working with some of the very best engineers in the industry! If the challenge of working on our innovative technology excites you, and you can meet the requirements below, we look forward to receiving your application.
About The Team
The Open Source Software (OSS) team is responsible for developing and improving the software eco-system around Arm's next generation of applications processors. This frequently means working with processors and other hardware technology not yet available to the public. We work on a range of development platforms, software-models, FPGAs and early silicon, sometimes many months before the processors are used in real products.
You will join a team of Software Engineers who all share a passion for wanting to stamp their mark on the future of computing, wherever it may lead. You will help Arm maintain its leadership in the embedded market, as well as playing a meaningful role in making Arm a successful server platform. If you are similarly passionate about groundbreaking technologies, then we want to hear from you!
Job Purpose and Accountabilities
In this role, you will be a member of the Kernel & Firmware team who specialise in power management software in OSS group within Arm. The team is globally distributed and works together in hybrid style – online communication combined with in-person collaboration.
This role is based in the Cambridge office and primarily focuses on our Open Source SCP Firmware. You will implement relevant standards and work on optimised system power management software solutions which reduce the time to market for our partners.
Day to day activities will include:
- Crafting and analysing innovative firmware power management features,
- Sharing the design of complex software effectively with your peers,
- Development and testing on platforms from software models, through FPGA systems, all the way to development boards and shipping products,
- Upstreaming and maintenance of existing features,
- Influencing and building consensus among the upstream community to ensure that Linux Scheduler and Power Management are excellent on Arm platforms.
Education & Qualifications:
Established experience or a Bachelor’s (or above) degree in a STEM subject.
- You are passionate about Open Source Software development
- We require commanding knowledge of developing and debugging embedded software,
- You understand the low level details of computer systems and hardware,
- You have excellent C skills; some assembly skills are desirable,
- Your strong interpersonal skills are vital for success; we are looking for excellent written and spoken English; capable of writing documentation, mentoring junior engineers,
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a dedication to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge
- We value familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes,
- We are seeking an understanding of Arm architecture and tools,
- We look for strong experience of power management firmware,
- We need knowledge of software design techniques and maintaining compatibility; we value previous experience in large, multi-site software development projects,
- Experience of software optimisation, instrumentation, Multi-core,
- Strong familiarity with testing methodology and automated testing systems alongside hands-on experience in developing with embedded platforms and/or real-time operating systems,
- We seek experience with scripting languages, e.g. Bash, Python, Perl, etc.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.