Research Engineer - Systems & Architecture
Arm's technology is used by billions of people every day. The Systems Architecture and Technology Group is responsible for exploring, developing, and driving the direction of Arm's products in the next 3 to 5 years. As part of this group, you will play an essential role in understanding industry trends and developing future computing devices for the markets that we participate in, including mobile, server, networking, IoT, embedded, and automotive. Key areas of interest for this Research Engineer role are distributed systems and confidential computing.
As a member of a small and versatile team, you will work closely with experts across all technology groups at Arm, with our partners, and with industry consortia. You will be responsible for understanding and advancing the next generation of computing systems.
From your first day, you will be working on real projects with impact across the company, and the wider community that relies on our products. You will receive support and guidance in your career development through our Graduate program, which includes the opportunity to spend time working in other groups within Arm.
- Monitor distributed systems advancements within industry and academia, and engage with the distributed systems community
- Collaborate with teams within Arm to understand and evaluate Arm designs with respect to the efficiency and security of distributed systems
- Investigate innovations that improve system security without sacrificing performance, power efficiency or ease of development.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A strong undergraduate or postgraduate degree, ideally in Computer Science or Electronic Engineering, but other academic backgrounds will be considered with meaningful experience
- A good understanding of computer architecture concepts and trends
- Experience in one or more of our focus areas: distributed systems, system safety & security, confidential computing, ambient computing
- Strong C or C++ programming skills
- Proficiency in a high-level shell or scripting language such as Python
- Flexibility and a willingness to work with new tools
- Ability to communicate clearly with a wide variety of audiences
“Nice To Have” Skills and Experience:
- Working at the interface between software and hardware. For example: device drivers, operating systems, networking, or compiler development
- Exposure to assembly language
- Knowledge of hardware microarchitecture concepts
- Experience of performance analysis
- Independent research experience
- Personal projects and/or contributions to open-source projects
- Interest in learning new languages, including Rust & GoLang
We offer a competitive reward package including annual bonus, RSUs and healthcare support. As well as other benefits such as an on-site gym and social events that are organised within the company!
We are offering a hybrid approach to home and office working to provide an adaptable experience for all employees. We expect some working time to be spent in office, to promote a strong collaborative environment with good team integration but are accommodating to different home working requirements.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.