Job header section
Principal System Performance Engineer
job navigation section
Hardware at Arm
You know us. With 125 Arm-powered products shipped every second, we'll be in a over a trillion smart devices by 2035. Your smartphone, award-winning VR gaming, the world's fastest supercomputer – our engineers are designing the advanced core processors leading the race towards a connected, autonomous, hyper-performance future.
So, we promise you endless opportunities to experiment and go even further in hardware. From advanced core implementation to full custom physical IPs, here you'll have our backing to push limits in vital areas such as memory, IO and logic.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
About the role
Arm is looking for a remarkable system performance modeling and analysis architect to join the Worldwide system IP Performance team. You will work closely with IP and systems teams across Arm to help define high-performance systems incorporating current and next generation Arm Processors, scalable coherent interconnects, and high-bandwidth memory controllers. This is an unusual opportunity to work through the brilliance of our Arm team members.
What will I be accountable for
- Modeling, analysis, and workload projections: Identify new performance features and system performance bottlenecks using performance models starting from product definition phase through release. Build and maintain consistent and high performance system model configurations for use by our partners
- System performance optimization: Generate and correlate projections and scaling factors for appropriate workloads for extrapolation based on performance models and their correlation with emulation to help both external and internal customers identify efficient design points of a system.
- Partner engagement and mentorship: Engage with internal and external partners through all stages of the product in establishing high confidence in Arm IP and system level performance. Collaborate closely with other Arm teams and mentor junior engineers to deliver performance collateral through analysis for evolving new usages and workloads.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
- Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science with a strong computer architecture, microarchitecture, performance modeling, and analysis background
- Minimum 8 years of experience in system performance analysis or modelling that includes processors, interconnects, caches and memory controllers
- Strong at C++ programming for large-scale software development and some experience with RTL or emulation performance analysis and correlation
- Proficient with Perl or Python scripting language skills with experience interacting with RTL and emulation design, verification and architecture teams across multiple products
- Excellent interpersonal abilities, strong initiative, and open in engaging and learning new concepts and share.
What are the desired requirements for this role?
- Some Knowledge of Verilog, System Verilog, and testbenches
- Knowledge of SystemC Transaction Level Modeling and commercial performance modeling tools would be a plus
At Arm, we are proud to have a set of behaviors that reflect our outstanding culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We, not I
Collaboration first, egos last.
- Start with long-term value to customers and partners, and work back from there.
- Collaborate, decide, contribute, and bring people with you.
- Make the most of all the skills and knowledge across Arm; share information with those who need it.
- Care about the people around you.
Passion for progress
Innovation that enables our ecosystems, Arm and our people to thrive.
- Work with pace and judgement. Adapt to circumstances.
- Take risk in support of progress.
- Own the decisions you make! Learn from failure.
- Pursue innovation relentlessly.
Be your brilliant self
Skillful individuality, performance and fulfilment.
- Be authentic.
- Seek and embrace differences.
- Encourage curiosity and challenge.
- Give people trust and autonomy; show people they can trust you to do forward-thinking work in pursuit of Arm’s goals
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.