Job header section
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
The ARM GPU Software team is seeking a Principal/Staff Engineer to join their Software Engineering group. The successful candidate will become a member of our Infrastructure (DevOps) Organization, developing tools and services that accelerate the Engineering and Operations teams' ability to plan and deliver Arm's largest software project. The GPU driver project consists of 100s of engineers, across 10s of sprint teams all developing on a single software codebase. Therefore, the inclusion of tooling and automation used to co-ordinate and track the multiple parallel development activities is critical to our success.
Day to day activities would include:
In this role you would work with the Board Support Package (BSP) team, the test infrastructure team, and the GPU driver developers to integrate and deploy BSPs, test software used by the advanced GPU test systems (incl. silicon boards and FPGAs). This mainly involves working with future, often unreleased, versions of operating systems used by our GPU partners, such as Android or Debian or Windows on Arm. We seek individuals with exposure and knowledge of System software stack ranging from Bootloaders, Firmware and distributed OS. As a principal/staff engineer you would be expected to look for opportunities to improve and influence the development of the processes used.
About GPU Engineering
GPU Engineering produces graphical and compute processing hardware and software products for mobile, embedded, and automotive industries. Our Mali™ Graphics Processor is the #1 shipping GPU!
In GPU Engineering we work with the world’s best companies, making world-leading products based on our IP alongside the best engineers in the world. We are a worldwide team working across numerous sites and cultures. Your ideas will make a difference and you will have the opportunity to lead, challenge the status quo and ultimately change the world of media processing!
Please have a look at the following video to see what it’s like to work with us:
Essential Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of Android Graphics Framework
- Experience of working with Linux and Android based systems
- Expertise in debugging and optimizing software systems
- Exposure to development with boards on test farms
- Version control and code review systems such as Git, Gerrit, Gitlab
- Experience in scripting with Python and Bash
- Experience of virtualization technologies such as Docker
- A practical, organized, and pragmatic approach to work.
- Willingness and ability to contribute to process improvement initiatives.
- Software build systems such as Make, Cmake & Bazel
- Experience in developing software stack written preferably in C/C++
- Experience of providing technical leadership in one or more significant projects.
- Experience of managing test configurations.
- Using Agile software development methods and tools (e.g., JIRA, Confluence)
- Experience of testing software across multiple generations of HW and the challenges it brings.
- Experience with using modern day software development techniques and workflows such as continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Arm architecture knowledge.
- Basic TCPI/IP networking
You will exhibit many of the following qualities:
- Self-reliant and who seeks out information and learning when required
- Ability to tackle problems creatively - e.g. challenge the status quo and suggest novel approaches
- Evaluate proposals critically - e.g. contributing to design discussions and code reviews.
- Address all life-cycle phases of large tasks, from specification through test and user documentation, with minimal supervision.
- Take on a technical leadership role for some aspects of project work, investigations, and feasibility studies.
- Provide support and guidance to our internal users and colleagues.
- Understand development and project processes in depth.
- Be willing to travel occasionally to Arm location in the UK and worldwide.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.