Principal Software Engineer
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
One benefit we're really proud of is FlexPot; a sum of money on top of your salary (which is the same value regardless of your seniority) which you can use for charitable giving, development or your personal wellbeing. Ready to start that French language course you've always wanted to do? Or are you a keen gym-goer and want to use it for a membership? There's lots different of ways to enjoy your Flexpot.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service. You could even combine your FlexPot allowance with your sabbatical and volunteer overseas!
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
We are a new group inside the Arm Open-Source Software division working on what will be the next generation of an IoT OS platform while developing production-grade software and tools; you will join a fast growing team of professional engineers who all share a vision and passion for building a foundation for this emerging industry that will accelerate the deployment of embedded devices.
We are looking for an experienced and gifted software architect to help design the next-generation of software and operating systems for Arm’s Cortex M microcontrollers and IoT platforms that will be used to deploy billions of IoT devices.
This role is available in our Cambridge site, to work alongside developers contributing to the future of our products.
You will work with both commercial and engineering teams, to define and implement software strategies for IoT systems on Cortex-M microcontroller platforms. A particular focus will be on new and critical technologies, including ML, Connectivity standards, Security technologies and Device management services. You will not directly implement new technologies, but you will work with a senior software strategy team and collaborate closely with product teams building systems such as Mbed, TrustedFirmware and Keil development tools. You will conduct investigations and analysis into IoT systems, emerging standards and technologies. You will produce architectural designs, contribute to specifications and participate in open governance projects. You will represent Arm to commercial partners and as part of wider out-reach around Arm's open source software strategy.
This is a great opportunity to shape and build new technologies which will drive the next wave of innovation in IoT.
You are an experienced IoT software engineer and architect with a proven track record of delivering products. You analyse complex problems and produce simple solutions with a minimum of unnecessary complication. You draw on your experience of previous embedded and IoT systems on microcontrollers to ensure your solutions are optimal. You communicate your solutions clearly and concisely in written and verbal form. You can translate complex technical concepts into a form that non-technical audiences can understand, being comfortable talking to technical and non-technical audiences from junior engineers to senior business leaders. You don't mind rolling up your sleaves and getting into development if the situation calls for it.
- Highly experienced IoT software architect who has also undertaken technical lead roles
- Highly experienced embedded C/C++ software engineer with track record of delivery of commercially successful products
- Deep domain expertise of IoT software stacks and RTOSes running on Cortex M microcontrollers
- Deep domain expertise in Embedded Systems and IoT Ecosystems
- Domain expertise in several of: Power and memory efficient software engineering and optimisation; Microcontroller security; Machine learning; Software testing methodologies; Cloud computing technologies relevant to IoT; IoT connectivity protocols
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Presentation skills
- A proven ability to work collaboratively with projects and teams across organisational boundaries
- Experience working directly with customers on capturing and analysing requirements while supporting them on the development process (this is a customer / partner interaction role)
Optionally youwillalsohave some of the following:
- Experience with modern C++ standards (C++11 and newer).
- Experience developing tests and using continuous integration frameworks, such as Jenkins, Travis or CircleCI.
- Experience leading a public open source project or participating in governance of a large community project.
- Experience with connectivity stacks such as Bluetooth, WiFi, Ethernet.
- Experience with storage solutions, block device drivers and file-systems.
- Experience with Over-The-Air Firmware Upgrade related technologies
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.