Principal Software Architect
As a Principal Software Architect you would be directing a team in exploration, analysis, and prototyping of future system architectures across a spectrum of use-cases including edge, distributed systems, datacenter, and HPC to cultivate future architecture, micro-architecture, software, and system designs.
In the Architecture Technology Group Systems team, we have a diverse set of motivated engineers covering all aspects of system architecture. We work in partnership with customers, the open-source community, and internal engineering teams to analyze workloads and develop solutions for the Arm ecosystem which enable efficient, performant systems.
We are looking for experienced individuals with a strong software background who are willing to provide leadership to a small team exploring technologies which ultimately impact product and partner roadmaps with in a 5-10 year period.
Develop and implement an applied systems software research and development agenda in areas of interest (Datacentre, HPC, Client, Edge, IoT) which may incorporate elements of co-design of hardware architecture.
Lead a systems software team exploring new trends in technology, identifying gaps in existing solutions and product portfolios, innovating potential solutions, and developing/refining prototypes for evaluation which address identified gaps.
Required Skills and Experience:
- B.Sc. in Computer Engineering or Computer Science. Other degrees will also be considered with proven experience.
- Proven experience in systems software, distributed systems, systems architecture, or architecture.
- Experience estimating, modelling, and evaluating performance and efficiency of targeted workloads, preferably in a full-systems simulator.
- Strong programming skills using languages including C, C++, Go, Rust and/or Python along with excellent problem solving and debugging abilities
- Creative, multifaceted thinker, open minded with strong problem-solving skills
- Fast learner of new technologies.
- Comfortable coping with uncertainty & resolving ambiguity, as you will be setting the direction.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, diverse and inclusive environment across time zones.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
“Nice To Have” Skills and Experience:
- Masters or PhD in Electronic, Electrical or Computer Engineering.
- Experience with Arm processors, CPU architecture and SoC subsystems.
- Experience with Cloud Native development and/or deployment technologies.
- Working at the interface between software and hardware. For example device driver, run-time, operating systems, hypervisors or compiler development.
- Experience with distributed systems including modeling and understanding the performance of various network technologies, protocols, and infrastructures.
- Understanding the key use cases, application frameworks, and middleware for edge computing, data center, and/or HPC.
- Knowledge of die to die, 2D and 3D SoC partitioning.
- Personal projects and/or contributions to open source projects.
- Prior experience leading and/or managing small (4-5 people) teams.
We are offering a hybrid approach to home and office working to provide an adaptable experience for all employees. We expect some working time to be spent in office, to promote a strong collaborative environment with good team integration but are accommodating to different home working requirements.
Equal Opportunities at Arm
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Hybrid Working at Arm
Arm’s hybrid approach to working is centred around flexibility, where we split our time between the office and other locations to get our work done. We empower groups/teams to determine their hybrid working pattern, with an expected minimum attendance in the office of 20% per month, depending on the work, level of experience and team’s needs. In some cases, the flexibility we can offer is limited by local legal, regulatory, tax, or other considerations, and where this is the case, we will collaborate with you to find the best solution.