Job header section
Principal Engineer - Power Management SW/FW
job navigation section
Start Your Career at Arm
Got a love for coding? Hardware design? IT project management? We're with you. Whatever you want to do, do it at the highest level. Arm is the driving force behind 70% of technology used by the world’s population – from your smartphone to VR headsets to the world’s fastest supercomputer. You'll master your craft while working with the biggest names in tech.
At the same time, your training and development will be second to none. We put our trust in you to work on big, global projects because you'll have our world-class mentors on your side, giving you just the right combination of freedom and support. And you'll also have your own development roadmap which you can pair with your choice workshops to take the skills you want to expert levels.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
We are seeking a forward-thinking, result oriented engineer based at Arm’s Global Headquarters in Cambridge to build system architecture for software and firmware for the next generation of Arm based devices.
You will work with multiple groups across Arm to generate new ideas, investigate ground-breaking techniques for improving system power and performance, and build system software to support new Arm system architecture specifications.
You will join the Architecture and Technology Group at Arm. We are a dynamic, collaborative, highly motivated and influential team responsible for building the foundation of future compute platform architectures, from mobile phones to servers to autonomous vehicles and IoT nodes.
You will collaborate with specialists across the organization to develop and evaluate new technologies, deploying them internally within Arm, to be later adopted by the broader Arm ecosystem. Your contribution will advance both Arm power and performance standardization roadmaps, and the wider Arm ecosystem.
Does working on pioneering technology excite you? If yes, and you meet the requirements of the job description below, we would love to hear from you!
- Architect innovative features in system firmware, and prototype groundbreaking power, performance, and thermal management mechanisms in the latest generations of Arm systems.
- Establish new Operating-System (e.g., Linux) mechanisms to improve power and thermals.
- Design experiments and analyses to answer architectural questions, and use/modify software on silicon, simulators, models, profilers, and other methods and tools as necessary to implement the analyses.
- Communicate results and technical concepts clearly and credibly across audiences ranging from individual hardware or software development engineers to architecture community peers, and to high level technology and business leadership.
- Create and maintain Arm standard specifications in power management and provide support for their testing and validation.
Required Skills and Experience:
- B.Sc. in Electronic, Electrical or Computer Engineering. Other degrees will also be considered with proven experience
- Strong programming skills using languages such as C and Python, along with knowledge of assembly.
- Hands-on experience developing Linux kernel drivers and embedded firmware.
- Solid understanding of System-on-Chip architectures, and mechanisms for power and thermal management in Operating Systems (like Linux) and firmware.
- Working experience using firmware interfaces such as ACPI or device tree.
- Ability to navigate and make high-level design trade-offs and articulate the rationale for those choices to partners.
- Standout colleague and excellent communicator! Sharing the progress of tasks and seeking feedback from your colleagues is important to you.
- Comfortable coping with uncertainty & resolving ambiguity, as you will be setting the direction.
“Nice To Have” Skills and Experience:
- Arm CPU and system architectures.
- Hands on Power Management software or firmware experience.
- Knowledge about power and thermal management intricacies across market segments like servers, mobiles/laptops, IoT and automotive.
- Understanding the key use cases, design constraints and workloads in a modern smartphone Application Processor or Server SoC, including use of virtualization.
- Knowledge of energy efficient scheduling in Linux.
- Debuggers and other tools and techniques to analyze how the OS and applications use the underlying hardware.
ARM is committed to global talent acquisition. With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organisation of dedicated, innovative and very hardworking professionals. By enabling a vibrant, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
Equal Opportunities at Arm
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Hybrid Working at Arm
Arm’s hybrid approach to working is centred around flexibility, where we split our time between the office and other locations to get our work done. We empower groups/teams to determine their hybrid working pattern, with an expected minimum attendance in the office of 20% per month, depending on the work, level of experience and team’s needs. In some cases, the flexibility we can offer is limited by local legal, regulatory, tax, or other considerations, and where this is the case, we will collaborate with you to find the best solution.
Life at Arm
There's an open and casual atmosphere here that's so characteristic of Arm. We build spaces for continuous learning and creative expression. No matter the level of person you're approaching, they're always ready for a down-to-earth conversation. And it's easy to make friends with such a diverse network of graduates, interns, part-time undergraduates and apprentices all sticking together. Because diversity is essential to how we innovate – one reason why we're promoting more women into leadership positions.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries, and applications. So much so, there's virtually never a time or place we're not with you.