Open Source Software DevOps Engineer
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
One benefit we're really proud of is FlexPot; a sum of money on top of your salary (which is the same value regardless of your seniority) which you can use for charitable giving, development or your personal wellbeing. Ready to start that French language course you've always wanted to do? Or are you a keen gym-goer and want to use it for a membership? There's lots different of ways to enjoy your Flexpot.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service. You could even combine your FlexPot allowance with your sabbatical and volunteer overseas!
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Due to growth we are seeking a DevOps Engineers to work in the Open Source Software Group at Arm's Headquarters in Cambridge.
The role is flexible with some remote working.
The OSS Group is responsible for developing and improving the software eco-system around Arm's next generation of applications processors.
As a member of the DevOps team you will have the opportunity to build upon your existing background, knowledge and expertise to provide automated build, test and development solutions along with support to both internal and external open source engineering communities.
We seek proactive individuals with experience and understanding of automation tooling, virtualisation, CI platforms and system administration.
Our day-to-day work is dynamic, and the following are examples of tasks you are likely to be involved in:
- Provide software build and test solutions catering to different market segments such as Mobile/Server/IoT/Automotive
- Multi-site deployments, maintenance and performance optimisation of core systems
- Can you provide timely analysis and resolution of issues reported by development teams!
- Investigation and implementation of new systems/features
- Requirements analysis and task breakdown
- Communication & collaboration with engineering IT, software development teams and the open source community
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have appropriate experience.
Essential Skills & Qualities
- Prior experience in a DevOps/Infrastructure position
- Experience in Unix (Linux) Systems Administration
- Experience in one or more complied/scripting language
- Your strong interpersonal skills are vital for success; we are looking for excellent written and spoken English. Do you have the capability to support key partners with their internal development programs?
Desirable Skills & Qualities
- Experience of build environments, e.g. Jenkins, Buildbot, LAVA.
- Version control and code review systems such as Git, Gerrit, Gitlab
- Knowledge of automation tools such as Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Foreman
- Experience of virtualization and cloud technologies such as AWS, Docker, OpenStack and Kubernetes
- Monitoring, Metrics and results visualization tooling
- Some exposure to development board build/test farms
- Web application development with Django or similar
- We value familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes, particularly around CI/CD infrastructure
- You are familiar and flexible in the use of various software development lifecycle methods including Agile
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.