2021 Graduate Software Engineer
Start Your Career at Arm
Got a love for coding? Hardware design? IT project management? We're with you. Whatever you want to do, do it at the highest level. Arm technology is a driving force behind 95% of the planet's connected devices – from your smartphone to VR headsets to the world's fastest supercomputer. You'll master your craft while working with the biggest names in tech.
At the same time, your training and development will be second to none. We put our trust in you to work on big, global projects because you'll have our world-class mentors on your side, giving you just the right combination of freedom and support. And you'll also have your own development roadmap which you can pair with your choice workshops to take the skills you want to expert levels.
One benefit we're really proud of is FlexPot; a sum of money on top of your salary (which is the same value regardless of your seniority) which you can use for charitable giving, development or your personal wellbeing. Ready to start that French language course you've always wanted to do? Or are you a keen gym-goer and want to use it for a membership? There's lots different of ways to enjoy your Flexpot.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service. You could even combine your FlexPot allowance with your sabbatical and volunteer overseas!
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Arm has a range of vacancies for enthusiastic graduates with a passion for embedded software development, Open Source software and CPU Architecture. If you have a software background and a willingness to learn, you will be considered for work in one of these areas:
- Software design and implementation of features for our reference Mali Graphics processors (enabling our next generation Mali mobile IPs for APIs such as GLES, Vulkan, OpenCL, EGL) on Android
- Compiler development using LLVM for GPGPU kernels
- Compiler development including open source compilation technology for e.g. Apache TVM targeting Arm's CPUs, GPUs and NPUs.
- Improvements and performance optimisations for Arm Compute Library and ArmNN.
- Model Conditioning and sophisticated machine language framework optimisations in frameworks like Tensorflow and Pytorch.
- Performance analysis of NPUs, GPUs or CPUs
- Arm Secure Firmware development
- Software stack development to enable Arm IP.
- Operating system development (Linux, Zephyr, FreeRTOS, mbedOS, etc)
- Verification of Arm CPUs using full-stack operating system software
- Development of Software Tools for CPU Verification using Random Instruction Generation
- Software optimisation (JIT compilers, Android, ChromeOS, …)
- Build environments & Automation tooling
If you have an interest in CPU, GPU or NPU architecture and you are passionate about software, whether it’s kernel, driver, application or tools development; If you’d like to know more about how hardware and software interact, then this is an outstanding opportunity for you!
As a Graduate, you will be placed in a development team at Arm’s offices in Cambridge, UK where you will have a dedicated mentor, and be able to get to grips with the problems ranging across many software areas. You will work across all aspects of the software lifecycle whilst being supported by and learning from the rest of the team.
Whilst a lot of our work does involve Open Source software, many tasks require working with development platforms, or simulated hardware environments where features are being developed and tested before the physical devices have been built, so the problems you will be encouraged to understand and pursue are ones that are yet unknown to the general community.
Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s program, on track to earn a degree in computer science, or a related field
Essential Skills & Qualities
- A real passion for computing that goes beyond your studies
- A creative and structured approach to problem-solving
- Proficient knowledge of one of C/C++. Candidates with proficiency in Python will be considered for roles in our Machine Learning Group.
- A strong will and eagerness for learning and self-improvement
Desirable Skills and Qualities
A wide range of roles is available. Depending on the area you choose to pursue, an interest in any of the following would support your application:
- 3D or GPGPU APIs
- Knowledge of a leading RISC based computer architecture, ideally Arm
- Evidence of Open Source project interaction or contribution (patches, bug reports, …)
- Operating system kernel or device drivers
- Knowledge of low-level assembler programming
- Compilation technology, JIT (Just In Time) compilers…
- Machine language frameworks like Tensorflow, PyTorch or Apache MXNet.
- Android, ChromeOS, RedHat, Debian internals/middleware development
- Linux development or validation
- Domain specific and novel compiler frameworks like MLIR, Glow, Spiral, Halide, Tiramisu or Apache TVM.
- Zephyr, FreeRTOS, other RTOS development or validation
- Low level device driver development and integration experience
- Understanding of CPU architecture and micro-architecture features (such as caches, MMU, SMP, coherency, CPU pipelines)
- Familiarity with embedded power management techniques or security technologies
- An understanding of radio protocol standards such as Bluetooth and/or Wireless LAN
- Hands on experience with hardware and software debuggers
Life at Arm
There's an open and casual atmosphere here that's so characteristic of Arm. We build spaces for continuous learning and creative expression. No matter the level of person you're approaching, they're always ready for a down-to-earth conversation. And it's easy to make friends with such a diverse network of graduates, interns, part-time undergraduates and apprentices all sticking together. Because diversity is essential to how we innovate – one reason why we're promoting more women into leadership positions.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries, and applications. So much so, there's virtually never a time or place we're not with you.