Job header section
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated and innovative engineers. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we support our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About The Team
The Open Source Software (OSS) team is responsible for developing and improving the software ecosystem around Arm's next generation of applications processors. This frequently means working with processors and other hardware technology not yet available to the public. We work on a range of development platforms, software-models, FPGAs and early silicon, sometimes many months before the processors are used in real products.
You will join a team of Software Engineers who all share a passion for wanting to stamp their mark on the future of computing, wherever it may lead. You will be helping Arm maintain its leadership in the embedded market, as well as playing an essential role in making Arm a successful server platform. If you are similarly passionate about leading edge technologies, then we want to hear from you.
Job Purpose and Accountabilities
In this role, you will be a member of the Android and Browser Enablement team who specialise in Android and Chromium within the Open Source Software (OSS) group at Arm.
Day to day activities will include:
- Participating in the design and implementation of new features and bug fixes in AOSP and Chromium's codebase.
- Analysing and improving the codebase for different performance aspects.
- Development and testing, debugging on different platforms (from software models, through FPGA systems, all the way to development boards and shipping products)
- Conducting code reviews both for internal code and upstream
- Influencing and building consensus among upstream communities
Education & Qualifications:
Established experience or a Bachelor’s (or above) degree in a STEM subject.
- You have a curiosity about open source development
- Commanding knowledge of developing and debugging operating systems
- You will have excellent C/C++ skills; some assembly skills are desirable
- You are familiar with upstreaming and codeline maintenance
- Problem solving and debugging skills are areas in which you have proficiency
- You are more than aware of the vagaries of System Architecture (pipelines, caches, MMUs, Interrupt Controllers, timers),
- You will know how to rigorously test software using various techniques
- Knowledge of at least one CPU architecture
- Your strong interpersonal skills are vital for success; we are looking for excellent written and spoken English; capable of writing documentation, mentoring junior engineers.
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a dedication to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge
- We value familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes
- We are seeking an understanding of Arm architecture and tools
- We look for experience of Linux kernel development and/or low-level Android frameworks
- We need knowledge of software design techniques and maintaining compatibility, and we value previous experience in large, multi-site software development projects
- Experience of software optimisation, instrumentation, Multi-core
- Strong familiarity with testing methodology and automated testing systems alongside hands-on experience in developing with embedded platforms and/or real-time operating systems
- We seek experience with scripting languages, e.g. Bash, Python, etc.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.