2021 Graduate Hardware Engineer - System IP
Start Your Career at Arm
Got a love for coding? Hardware design? IT project management? We're with you. Whatever you want to do, do it at the highest level. Arm technology is a driving force behind 95% of the planet's connected devices – from your smartphone to VR headsets to the world's fastest supercomputer. You'll master your craft while working with the biggest names in tech.
At the same time, your training and development will be second to none. We put our trust in you to work on big, global projects because you'll have our world-class mentors on your side, giving you just the right combination of freedom and support. And you'll also have your own development roadmap which you can pair with your choice workshops to take the skills you want to expert levels.
One benefit we're really proud of is FlexPot; a sum of money on top of your salary (which is the same value regardless of your seniority) which you can use for charitable giving, development or your personal wellbeing. Ready to start that French language course you've always wanted to do? Or are you a keen gym-goer and want to use it for a membership? There's lots different of ways to enjoy your Flexpot.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service. You could even combine your FlexPot allowance with your sabbatical and volunteer overseas!
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
To support the development of next-generation system IP we are looking for graduate engineers passionate about a career in digital design and verification.
The Systems group works on interconnect and peripheral IP that is required to build a complete system-on-chip. Together these components are used extensively in consumer devices such as mobile phones and tablets as well as in numerous other electronic products from sensors to servers.
Working in one of the hardware teams, you will need to be creative, innovative and passionate about new technologies! Our engineers create products across the range of Arm’s IP portfolio providing outstanding performance and low power.
Graduate hardware engineers immediately start working on real project tasks with help and mentorship of experienced engineers. Through teamwork, training and dedication to personal development, our goal is that every graduate engineer quickly learns about different aspects of developing highly-complex designs, starts contributing to different project tasks and ultimately develops into an expert in the field. You will be working in a multi-site environment and will be given an opportunity to rotate through different roles within different projects and groups.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Developing the IP in RTL, working with the rest of the design team to deliver a product with leading power efficiency and performance
- Verifying that IP to the highest quality standards using a wide range of methodologies – constrained random simulation using testbenches written in SystemVerilog, running real applications on emulation or FPGA platforms, and formal methods.
In order to be considered, at the least BSc or BEng degree is needed in Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant subject. Other degree types may be considered with significant experience.
What crucial skills and experience do we look for in a successful Graduate?
- An engineering mind-set and real passion for digital design
- A keen interest to develop a career in processors and digital systems
- Basic understanding of computer architecture and micro-architecture concepts
- Familiarity with high-level simulation languages, such as VHDL or Verilog
- Excellent attention to detail
- Creativity and ability to communicate ideas effectively
- Good social and teamwork skills
Useful skills and experiences
- Knowledge of the Arm architecture, computer graphics, GPU architecture or GPU computing, and design techniques for low power
- Knowledge of verification techniques and testbenches
- Familiarity with programming languages – assembly language (ideally Arm assembler), higher-level such as 'C', and object-oriented such as C++
- Use of a UNIX environment and shell programming/scripting in e.g. Tcl, Perl, Python etc.
- Exposure to low-level programming or driver development
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
There's an open and casual atmosphere here that's so characteristic of Arm. We build spaces for continuous learning and creative expression. No matter the level of person you're approaching, they're always ready for a down-to-earth conversation. And it's easy to make friends with such a diverse network of graduates, interns, part-time undergraduates and apprentices all sticking together. Because diversity is essential to how we innovate – one reason why we're promoting more women into leadership positions.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries, and applications. So much so, there's virtually never a time or place we're not with you.