Bristol, United Kingdom
Systems IP - Staff/Principal Design EngineerApply now
Piece Together The World’s Most Powerful Puzzle
This world has a design. It’s infinite yet discoverable. Small yet powerful. Our design engineers must all at once predict it and create it. From implementation of the most advanced CPU, GPU and HPC processors on the planet to dreaming up every eventuality that could put our SoC and system IP to the test, we puzzle over the biggest questions of our time. And microarchitect the future.
Work At The Very Edge
At Arm, you’re in a position to influence 95% of the world’s connected devices and all of their applications. Healthcare, infrastructure, virtual reality… you’ll affect hundreds, if not thousands of industries worldwide, racing towards new milestones in human endeavour.
Learning And Development
Whether you want to learn a new programming language, explore your management potential or witness the latest innovations at industry conferences, we promise you both the freedom and the support to develop when you want it.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid four-week sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. So it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, our flexible progressive leave allows you to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform, Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy, so you can live life and be your brilliant self.
As part of Arm’s continued growth, the Interconnect team are looking to hire passionate engineers in the Bristol region. Based in an office in Bristol, you will be working on next generation Interconnect products in close collaboration with the Manchester and Sheffield teams. The team is working on a new Arm Corelink Interconnect IP product for Arm, with sophisticated bleeding edge low power, high performance technology.
Would you like to be part of creative, multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural environment, in a role with exciting responsibilities and a chance to create an impact on our industry? We would love to hear from you!
The Interconnect team develops the Arm Corelink Interconnect IP family. This highly scalable IP is designed for intelligently connected AMBA-compliant SoC connectivity, for other performance features including coherency, caches and can be customized for multiple performance points.
Design Engineers are required to have in-depth understanding across all the elements that contribute to the products’ successful delivery, including low-power design techniques, awareness of the impact of design decisions on system performance, ability to produce designs that are area efficient, and the verification techniques that are employed to ensure high-quality cutting edge designs.
- Leading the feasibility analysis of suggested architectures and algorithms to craft creative microarchitecture design solutions and specifications in collaboration with other specialists
- Driving the power measurement and design optimization activities working with stakeholders while tracking the requirements
- Work closely with engineers across performance modelling, validation, and implementation to meet all functional requirements, performance, power and area goals
- Improving design methodology across the System IP group and wider Arm design community
- Providing direction and mentoring to other members of your team as they learn new things and solve complex problems.
Required skills and experience:
- Demonstration of a strong delivery record of high quality, low power, high performance complex micro-architecture and RTL implementations using System Verilog, Verilog or VHDL HDL in reasonable timescales.
- Be able to navigate and make high-level design trade-offs and articulate the rationale for those choices.
- Knowledgeable on ASIC/FPGA design methodology, IP signoff methods with a deep understanding on timing/area/complexity trade-offs for complex data path designs
- Experience of producing specifications and documentation describing complex designs
- Multiprocessing microarchitecture experience including knowledge of cache coherence and bus protocols (e.g. AMBA5 CHI, AMBA4 ACE or AXI)
‘Nice to have’ Skills and Experience:
- Team leadership and mentoring experience
- CPU or compute subsystem memory micro-architecture
- Working knowledge of SystemVerilog Assertions (SVA) and formal verification
- Knowledge of a scripting language such as Perl, Tcl, C shell
- Knowledge of working with power tools (ex. Power Pro)
- Knowledge of assembly language (preferably ARM), C/C++ and/or hardware verification languages e.g. SystemVerilog
Equal Opportunities at Arm
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Hybrid Working at Arm
Arm’s hybrid approach to working is centred around flexibility, where we split our time between the office and other locations to get our work done. We empower groups/teams to determine their hybrid working pattern, with an expected minimum attendance in the office of 20% per month, depending on the work, level of experience and team’s needs. In some cases, the flexibility we can offer is limited by local legal, regulatory, tax, or other considerations, and where this is the case, we will collaborate with you to find the best solution.
Life At Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.