Job header section
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Arm’s Software Engineering group is responsible for creating and improving the software eco-system around Arm's next generation of applications processors. We help our partners build creative Arm-powered products, for various segments Mobile, Server, IoT connected devices, Augmented & Virtual Reality offerings, Autonomous Driving Solutions etc. and in this process, we work on range of development platforms: software-models, FPGAs, emulator, silicon. You will join a team of passionate Software Engineers who all want to mark their stamp on the future of ARM-powered computing, wherever it may lead.
As a member of the Software Group you will have the opportunity to build upon your existing background, knowledge and expertise and contribute to Open Source projects, e.g. EDK II, Linux Kernel, Trusted Firmware, SCP firmware etc. providing reference implementations and optimizations to key software system components. This contribution helps drive the development of world-class System Software, for architected hardware and software platforms catering Server Segment, and becomes reference designs for futuristic ARM based servers. We seek individuals with exposure and knowledge of every level of the System software stack ranging from BareMetal firmware, bootloaders, Kernel and Distros. Passionate about innovative technologies? - We want to hear from you!
- Contribution to the design and development of Reference systems and Platform software for Arm application processors and MCUs.
- Supporting key partners, upstreaming and maintaining open source software components
- Be part of an extended development team and you can expect to be working face to face with some of the greatest household names in our industry.
- Helping to develop, optimize and deliver the software needed to support Arm's ground-breaking IP, as well as helping
- Arm grow its role in new embedded and enterprise market segments.
- Prepare test specification, test plans based on design documents of software and hardware modules.
- Develop unit test module/scripts for validating the software/hardware functionalities.
Required Skills and Experience :
- Experience in firmware or Linux kernel development, command over concepts such as, bootloaders, device drivers.
- Experience in developing complex software stack written preferably in C.
- Expertise in debugging and optimizing complex software systems.
- Knowledge of any SCM preferably Git
- Show a strong interpersonal and communication skills that are essential for success; we are looking for excellent written and spoken English.
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge.
“Nice To Have” Skills and Experience :
- Experience with working in the open-source community. We value understanding of open-source project development cycles and contribution processes.
- Familiarity with ARM-A or ARM-M architectures.
- Familiarity with open source projects such as TF-A and EDK II.
- Good understanding on ARM- v8-A and ARM- v8-M architectures, SMMU or IO-MMUs.
- Familiarity with technologies such as RAS, hypervisors, CXL, power management and security.
- Familiarity with industry standards such as ACPI and UEFI.
- Familiarity with open-source test tools.
- An awareness about the value of CI and automated test system.
- Experience with customer interactions, diagnose and resolve reported issues.
Our UK offices are amazing places to collaborate. We also have some scope to adapt the job role and title for the right person - if you are interested but unsure whether you tick all the boxes, we still would love you to reach out! We are keen to welcome versatile people into Arm!
Accommodations at Arm
At Arm, we want our people to Do Great Things. If you need support or an accommodation to Be Your Brilliant Self during the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. To note, by sending us the requested information, you consent to its use by Arm to arrange for appropriate accommodations. All accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality, and information concerning these requests will only be disclosed as necessary to provide the accommodation. Although this is not an exhaustive list, examples of support include breaks between interviews, having documents read aloud or office accessibility. Please email us about anything we can do to accommodate you during the recruitment process.
Hybrid Working at Arm
Arm’s hybrid approach to working is centred around flexibility, where we split our time between the office and other locations to get our work done. Within that framework, we empower groups and teams to determine their own particular hybrid working pattern, depending on the work and the team’s needs. Details of what this means for each role will be shared upon application. In some cases, the flexibility we can offer is limited by local legal, regulatory, tax, or other considerations, and where this is the case, we will collaborate with you to find the best solution. Please talk to us to find out more about what this could look like for you.
Equal Opportunities at Arm
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.