Principal/ Senior Principal Design EngineerApply now
Piece Together The World’s Most Powerful Puzzle
This world has a design. It’s infinite yet discoverable. Small yet powerful. Our design engineers must all at once predict it and create it. From implementation of the most advanced CPU, GPU and HPC processors on the planet to dreaming up every eventuality that could put our SoC and system IP to the test, we puzzle over the biggest questions of our time. And microarchitect the future.
Work At The Very Edge
At Arm, you’re in a position to influence 95% of the world’s connected devices and all of their applications. Healthcare, infrastructure, virtual reality… you’ll affect hundreds, if not thousands of industries worldwide, racing towards new milestones in human endeavour.
Learning And Development
Whether you want to learn a new programming language, explore your management potential or witness the latest innovations at industry conferences, we promise you both the freedom and the support to develop when you want it.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid four-week sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. So it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, our flexible progressive leave allows you to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform, Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy, so you can live life and be your brilliant self.
About the role:
Arm’s hardware is at the heart of the computing and connectivity revolution that continues to transform the way people live and businesses operate. Working as a team and engaging with the world’s most famous technology companies, we are driving innovation into all areas that compute is possible to help us build better solutions for the billions of people using our technology worldwide. As we continue to grow, we need the best engineers to join a team responsible for the development of complex compute subsystems and solutions. Soon, you could be using your talents to help us develop the technologies that will enable the very latest compute solutions in today's enterprise and client markets.
What will you be accountable for?
Systems Solution team mission is to enable our partners by delivering a secure, performant and reliable hardware and software that are easy to use. Design Engineers in this group are responsible for driving the specification and development of the next generation of compute solution. You will be working in a highly focused group within Arm's Central Engineering Systems Development team, where you will help design our next generation compute solutions using state of the art technologies, methodologies and tools. You will work closely with architects and other design, verification, implementation engineers, modelling, performance analysis, silicon validation, FPGA and Board development engineers. Experienced senior engineers are also expected to support junior members of the team.
- As a creative design engineer with a knowledge of subsystems and SoCs you will be part of a team integrating IP and developing logic for subsystems/solutions
- You will work with the project team to understand, review the SoC solution architecture and develop the design specifications
- Key responsibilities will include writing micro-architecture specifications, developing the RTL, fixing bugs, running various design checks, power constraints generation, supporting RTL/netlist power analysis
- You will work with the verification team to review test plans and help debugging design issues.
- Close collaboration with the performance analysis team to evaluate and improve system performance.
- Expected to contribute to developing and enhancing the design methodologies used by the team.
- You will guide other members of the team as needed to enable the successful completion of project activities.
- As you gain the domain knowledge you will have the growth opportunity to lead technical activities that the team is working on.
- You will balance other opportunities such as working with Project Management on activities, plans, and schedules
What skills, experience and qualification do you need?
- 12+ Yrs of Experience
- Bachelors (BS) or Masters (MS/MSc) in Electronics, Electrical or Computer Engineering - although other degrees will be considered with relevant work experience
- You will need experience of RTL design for complex SoCs and ASIC products
- Your ability to make trade-offs between power, performance and area will be vital to the role
- You possess the knowledge of RTL development using Verilog, System Verilog or VHDL
- Exposure to all stages of design will be crucial: initial concept, specification, implementation, power analysis, power optimisation, testing, documentation and support
- Exposure to producing specifications and documentation describing complex designs
- You will have the ability to work under time-scale pressure and meet bold targets without compromising on quality
- Understanding of the fundamentals of computer architecture and systems
- You will have practical experience of working on Processor based system designs
- Knowledge of shell programming/scripting (e.g. Tcl Perl, Python etc.)
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
- Understanding of SoC security aspects
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t (what does collaborate)
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organisation of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling a vibrant, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
ARM® is at the heart of the world's most advanced digital products. Our technology enables the creation of new markets and transformation of industries and society. We design scalable, energy efficient-processors and related technologies to deliver the intelligence in applications ranging from sensors to servers, including smartphones, tablets, enterprise infrastructure and the Internet of Things.
Our innovative technology is licensed by ARM Partners who have shipped more than 50 billion Systems on Chip (SoCs) containing our intellectual property since the company began in 1990. Together with our Connected Community, we are breaking down barriers to innovation for developers, designers and engineers, ensuring a fast, reliable route to market for leading electronics companies.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life At Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.