Job header section
Principal Toolchain Solutions Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Arm makes a significant investment in our partners success. This investment even extends to working directly with our partners to optimize their codebase to improve performance on ARM64 architecture. Arm’s share in the marketplace is expanding rapidly and is showing potential for extensive growth. Our partners leverage ARM's expertise and core competencies to bring value to their end customers through a combination of Arm’s IP and their own differentiating technology.
The Toolchain Solutions Engineer will be responsible for ARM architecture specific optimizations to toolchain like compilers, libraries etc. in the infrastructure market space. In this role you will be working directly with Arm's key industry partners to define and develop solutions that meet partner requirements and specifications.
The role is technical in nature and based in the United States, with a preference for the Seattle, Washington area.
What will I be accountable for?
As a Toolchain Solutions Engineer you will be working on and/or contributing to a compiler/toolchain codebase and work directly with industry partners. The toolchain codebase might be open source or proprietary in nature. You will interface and leverage expertise on ARM64 architecture at ARM and incorporate our innovations in our partner's software.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
- 10 years of experience with C/C++
- Experience working on and/or contributing to a compiler codebase like LLVM, GCC, or MSVC.
- Experience developing unit tests, integration tests, and continuous integration testing.
- Good understanding of ARM64 architecture.
- Basic understanding of intellectual property protections.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Excellent business judgement and the demonstrated ability to think and act both strategically and tactically
- Meticulous attention to detail: ability to multitask without compromising quality of work and delivery schedules.
- Must be comfortable working independently with partners and dealing with uncertainty
A natural problem solver who enjoys solving technical challenges
Team player and the ability to work in a geographically diverse and dispersed global organization
Desirable Skills & Experience
10 years of programming experience in C/C++, Interest in compilers and other toolchain technologies.
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have relevant experience. At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.Information is crucial, share it.
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognize the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.