Job header section
SoC Physical Implementation Applications Engineer
job navigation section
Hardware at Arm
You know us. With 125 Arm-powered products shipped every second, we'll be in a over a trillion smart devices by 2035. Your smartphone, award-winning VR gaming, the world's fastest supercomputer – our engineers are designing the advanced core processors leading the race towards a connected, autonomous, hyper-performance future.
So, we promise you endless opportunities to experiment and go even further in hardware. From advanced core implementation to full custom physical IPs, here you'll have our backing to push limits in vital areas such as memory, IO and logic.
One benefit we're really proud of is FlexPot; a sum of money on top of your salary (which is the same value regardless of your seniority) which you can use for charitable giving, development or your personal wellbeing. Ready to start that French language course you've always wanted to do? Or are you a keen gym-goer and want to use it for a membership? There's lots different of ways to enjoy your Flexpot.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service. You could even combine your FlexPot allowance with your sabbatical and volunteer overseas!
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
About the Role
In this role, you will support leading semiconductor design houses implement advanced Arm cores/subsystems in their nanometer SoC designs meeting aggressive performance, power, and area requirements. You will work with Arm experts using the latest micro-architectural design techniques, latest EDA tools/flows, as well as the latest foundry process nodes to put together reference implementation methodologies and will play a key role in imparting that knowledge to Arm customers. You will evaluate core/system implementation performance vs. power tradeoffs, benchmark EDA flows, supplement EDA tool shortcomings with custom script workarounds, look at robust design flows in face of variability, study floorplan/PG/macro-placement/clock-tree/routability tradeoffs for multi-corner timing closure, and devise physical design flows to extract optimum performance from cell and macro libraries.
With the ever increasing complexity associated with implementing multi-core designs and subsystems in finfet processes, we need a seasoned individual with proven ability for solving complex challenges, including low power and high performance implementation to support our customers to realize the best quality of results from our RTL by offering guidance, training, and support services throughout their RTL to GDSII design closure phases. Arm’s IP portfolio expansion from mobile computing into AI, automotive, Infrastructure, IOT among other market segments resulted in consistent growth beyond the semiconductor industry averages, resulting in career advancement opportunities previously unseen in traditional design houses. Here is your chance to leverage that growth to advance your career at Arm.
What will I be accountable for?
· Co-operate and communicate with the RTL, implementation and library design teams
· Customer support for all implementation related questions
· Development of training collateral
· Appnote/white-paper creation
· Training/service delivery
· Develop, help market, and deliver physical design support services to accelerate customer silicon success
· Supporting field, sales and marketing teams
· Collaborate with EDA vendors to extend the best in class results from our designs
· Work with geographically diverse engineering and support teams to deliver Arm quality customer support
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
· Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines
· Demonstrable experience with synthesis, floor/power planning, place and route, clock distribution, signal & power integrity, DFM, physical verification, LEC and static timing analysis
· Experience in the entire IC design flow, from RTL through to PnR & STA
· Proven relevant experience within the industry
What desirable skills and experience do I need?
· Experience with low power design techniques (power gating, DVFS, etc.)
· Experience with Verilog RTL design
· Proficiency in scripting languages such as Perl, Python and TCL
· Processor and interconnect microarchitecture
· DFT and MBIST
· Finfet based cell/macro library usage and implications to SoC design
· Signoff procedures before tape out
What are the desired behaviors for this role?
At Arm, we are proud to have a set of behaviors that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviors are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
· Partner and customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
· Collaboration and communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
· Creativity and innovation – Possessing a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
· Team and personal development – You take time to drive your own development, whilst also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
· Impact and influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
· Deliver on your promises – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.