Job header section
SoC Design Engineer
job navigation section
Internships at Arm
Most people know Arm and the scale at which our advanced core processors are changing the world. But not everyone knows our name. They do know our partners, though. Because those tiny processors are a driving force behind the biggest names in tech. Not only in Silicon Valley, but 70% of technology used by the world’s population – from your smartphone to the world’s fastest supercomputer.
What better place to get an internship? We put our trust in you to work on big, global projects because you'll have our world-class mentors on your side, giving you just the right combination of freedom and support. And what if you want to focus on becoming an expert in certain skills? We're with you there too – creating your own development roadmap paired with your choice workshops.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
About the Role
Our Systems Development team designs subsystems for various application segments, using the latest IP products from Arm and other vendors. We are looking for a creative and enthusiastic SoC Design Engineer to join the team and help develop these systems. As a SoC Design Engineer you will contribute to the specification, design and verification of various compute subsystems.
You will join a small team of dedicated engineers in Austin, as well as collaborate with multiple other groups inside of Arm to design our subsystem products. Would you love a wider exposure across multiple IP products? Do you want an opportunity to work globally with various internal teams to deliver systems optimized for performance and power?
What will I be accountable for
- As a creative design engineer with a knowledge of subsystems and SoCs you will be part of a team integrating IP and developing logic for subsystems.
- You will work with the project team to understand and review the subsystem architecture, and develop the design specifications.
- Your key responsibilities will include writing micro-architecture specifications, developing the RTL, fixing bugs and running various design checks.
- You will work with the verification team to review test plans, and help debug design issues.
- You will work with the performance analysis team to evaluate and improve subsystem performance.
- You will also contribute to developing and enhancing the design methodologies used by the team.
- You will guide and support other members of the team as needed to enable the successful completion of project activities.
- You will balance other opportunities such as working with Project Management on activities, plans, and schedules
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
In addition to bringing your accomplishment of either a Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or Electrical/Computer Engineering or a similar related field and 5-10 years experience working in design of complex compute subsystems or SoCs, you will need:
- Strong knowledge of digital hardware design and Verilog HDL.
- A thorough understanding and experience of the current design techniques for complex SoC development.
- Experience creating design specifications
- Good knowledge of logic development using Verilog
- Experience with Perl, Python or other scripting language
Some other experience that can help you succeed in this role:
- Experience with ARM-based designs and/or ARM System Architectures
- Experience with SystemVerilog and verification methodologies – UVM/OVM/e
- Experience leading small teams or projects
- Experience or knowledge in the following areas
- Synthesis and timing analysis
- Static design checks, including CDC, RDC, X-Propagation, Linting
- Power management techniques
- PCIe subsystems for large SoCs and server applications
What are the desired behaviors for this role?
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to surpass ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual is responsible for the right answer. Brilliance is collective!
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow!
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and lead your own progress
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognize the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.