Job header section
Senior Software Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
About the job
Arm is the industry's leading supplier of microprocessor technology, offering the widest range of microprocessor cores to address the performance, power and cost requirements for almost all application markets. Combining a dynamic ecosystem with over 1,000 partners delivering silicon, development tools and software, and with more than 90 billion processors shipped, our technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate.
The Open-Source Software (OSS) team is responsible for developing and improving the software ecosystem around Arm's next generation of applications processors. This frequently means working with processors and other hardware technology not yet available to the public. We work on a range of development platforms, software-models, FPGAs and early silicon, sometimes many months before the processors are used in real products.
You will join a wonderful team of Software Engineers who all share a passion for wanting to stamp their mark on the future of computing, wherever it may lead. You'll be playing a meaningful role in making Arm a successful server platform as well as help maintain its leadership in the embedded market. If you are similarly passionate about innovative technologies, then we want to hear from you.
- Have a strong background in microprocessor architectures and open-source software
- A multifaceted problem solver, capable of investigating and resolving sophisticated customer issues
- Passionate about new technology and want to help drive the global adoption of groundbreaking Arm IP
- Demonstrate technical leadership and a curiosity about sharing knowledge with others
As a Senior Software Engineer in OSS – Networking team, you will be working on all aspects of the software life cycle, including:
- Design, develop, test, deliver and maintain production quality data plane networking software.
- Collaborate with internal/external key partners across the globe to understand requirements and build key parts of the networking software ecosystem.
- Optimize networking software for Arm based platforms.
- Work with open-source communities to upstream and maintain code.
- Be flexible, with a variety of software development skills and a dedication to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge.
Required skills and experience
- At least 4 years of networking software development and optimization experience.
- Proficiency in C/C++, assembly language and scripting languages
- In-depth knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and concurrent programming.
- Good understanding of computer architecture and operating systems.
- Good understanding of L2/L3 network protocols, and Ethernet, TCP/IP, Switching and Routing.
- Hands on experience in designing, implementing, and debugging data plane networking software.
- Clear, effective written and verbal communication skills.
Nice to have skills and experience
- Familiar with open-source project development cycles and contribution process.
- Hands on experience with open-source networking and packet processing projects such as DPDK, ODP, VPP, OVS, eBPF or similar proprietary projects.
- Experience in distributed version control systems, such as Git.
- Experience in software development and optimization on ARM architecture.
- Understanding of I/O and networking and their impact on software performance.
- Master’s/Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other degrees with proven experience.
- Familiar with concepts and standards related to SDN and NFV.
- Experience with could native technologies such as Kubernetes, various CNIs and service meshes.
- Experience with 5G wireless stack.
Arm’s hybrid approach to working is centered around flexibility, where we split our time between the office and other locations to get our work done. We empower groups/teams to determine their hybrid working pattern, with an expected minimum attendance in the office of 40% per month, depending on the work, level of experience and team’s needs. In some cases, the flexibility we can offer is limited by local legal, regulatory, tax, or other considerations, and where this is the case, we will collaborate with you to find the best solution.
Accommodations at Arm
At Arm, we want our people to Do Great Things. If you need support or an accommodation to Be Your Brilliant Self during the recruitment process, please email email@example.com. To note, by sending us the requested information, you consent to its use by Arm to arrange for appropriate accommodations. All accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality, and information concerning these requests will only be disclosed as necessary to provide the accommodation. Although this is not an exhaustive list, examples of support include breaks between interviews, having documents read aloud or office accessibility. Please email us about anything we can do to accommodate you during the recruitment process.
Equal Opportunities at Arm
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Hybrid Working at Arm
Arm’s hybrid approach to working is centred around flexibility, where we split our time between the office and other locations to get our work done. Within that framework, we empower groups and teams to determine their own particular hybrid working pattern, depending on the work and the team’s needs. Details of what this means for each role will be shared upon application. In some cases, the flexibility we can offer is limited by local legal, regulatory, tax, or other considerations, and where this is the case, we will collaborate with you to find the best solution. Please talk to us to find out more about what this could look like for you.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.