Job header section
Senior Firmware Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
About The Role
Are you an experienced Software Developer with a strong background in Systems Software Development? At Arm, we seek highly motivated professionals interested in Open-Sourced Software. You will help Arm maintain leadership in the low-power embedded market, as well as Mobile and Server, IoT, and Automotive industries.
The Arm Open-Sourced Software group enables partners to build key software on Arm-IP-based systems. We develop and contribute to open-sourced projects, providing crucial reference implementations and optimizations to crucial software system components, and validated software stacks.
You will be a member of the Open-Source Software group, in the Firmware team. Your responsibilities will include developing low-level software for the Armv8 and v9 architectures, building our software ecosystem around Arm's current and next-generation products.
- Design and development of reference secure firmware for Arm application processors and MCUs.
- Low-level software development, test, and debug on various platforms, including software models, development boards, and shipping products.
- Creating software stacks for Arm’s reference platforms for next generation of Arm devices.
- Analyzing industry specs, road-mapping requirements, breaking down tasks, and implementing the project plans.
- Providing the best technical advice and direction to both Arm's and Arm Partners' platform implementation projects.
- Upstreaming and maintaining the above software.
In Arm’s Open-Source Software group, you will work face-to-face with some of the greatest names in our industry. Your goal will be to help develop, optimize, and deliver the software needed to support Arm's state of the art IP. You’ll help Arm grow its embedded, consumer, and enterprise markets.
Education & Qualifications:
You should have a Bachelor Degree or Master Degree (preferred) in Computer Science or a related field is required. PhD is welcome. In order to be successful, minimum of 5-10 years of experience in embedded software development (more experience required with BS, less with PhD) will be key.
- Proficient C-programming skills are critical. Assembly-language skills are desirable. Proficiency with the GNU toolchain and/or LLVM, and cross compiling is required.
- Expertise in low-level systems-software development and an understanding of bootloaders, device drivers, OS fundamentals and low-level power management
- Understanding kernel development or user-space system level programming
- Authoritative knowledge of multi-core software development, including data- and cache-coherency, and memory-management concepts
- Strong interpersonal skills to move software changes and whole projects forward
- Disciplined and self-motivated to work independently and in a distributed team, willing to be flexible and to accept new challenges
- Professional, enthusiastic, and flexible approach to work, with a flair for creative, lateral thinking and problem solving
- Commitment to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Understanding of software-security concepts, methods and technologies
- Experience in software profiling, instrumentation and optimization
- Understanding of how to rigorously test software
- Familiarity and flexibility in the use of software development lifecycle methods, especially Agile
- Familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes
- Understanding of a rigorous CI and automated test systems
- Practical expertise in version control systems, particularly distributed tools such as Git, as well as code-review and deployment tools like Gerrit.
- Proficiency with scripting languages such as Python
- Knowledge of software design techniques and how to maintain compatibility are within your skills.
Arm is at the heart of the world's most advanced digital products! Our technology enables the creation of new markets and transformation of industries and society. We design scalable, energy efficient-processors and related technologies to deliver the intelligence in applications ranging from sensors to servers, including smartphones, tablets, and enterprise infrastructure.
Our innovative technology is licensed by Arm Partners who have shipped more than 50 billion Systems on Chip (SoCs) containing our intellectual property since the company began in 1990. Together with our Connected Community, we are breaking down barriers to innovation for developers, designers and engineers, ensuring a fast, reliable route to market for leading electronics companies
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.