Job header section
Senior CPU Workloads Engineer
job navigation section
Hardware at Arm
You know us. With 125 Arm-powered products shipped every second, we'll be in a over a trillion smart devices by 2035. Your smartphone, award-winning VR gaming, the world's fastest supercomputer – our engineers are designing the advanced core processors leading the race towards a connected, autonomous, hyper-performance future.
So, we promise you endless opportunities to experiment and go even further in hardware. From advanced core implementation to full custom physical IPs, here you'll have our backing to push limits in vital areas such as memory, IO and logic.
One benefit we're really proud of is FlexPot; a sum of money on top of your salary (which is the same value regardless of your seniority) which you can use for charitable giving, development or your personal wellbeing. Ready to start that French language course you've always wanted to do? Or are you a keen gym-goer and want to use it for a membership? There's lots different of ways to enjoy your Flexpot.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service. You could even combine your FlexPot allowance with your sabbatical and volunteer overseas!
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
We have exciting opportunities in the CPU group, where you will be part of a highly motivated team that helps define new generations of mainstream processors.
You will have real responsibilities from day one, and you will get support and mentorship from specialists that will help you succeed and develop your career. Through teamwork, training, and dedication to personal development, we strive to help everyone mature into a specialist in the field.
You will work in a multi-site, multi-cultural environment and will have the opportunity to work on different projects.
What will you be accountable for?
- You will contribute to the definition of the next generation of Arm’s IP products by enabling analysis of new applications and benchmarks, and by proposing new insights on methodologies that push the state of the art in workload analysis, characterization and capture.
- Together with marketing, technical leads, and partners we will align on applications that will represent market requirements for future products.
- You will propose, develop and maintain innovative ways of making relevant workloads suitable for sophisticated simulation and emulation platforms, targeting the latest architectural features.
In order to be considered, you will need at least a Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant subject. Other degree types may be considered with relevant experience.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
- An engineering mind-set with strong problem-solving skills
- Good object-oriented programming, preferably C++ or Java, plus coding in assembly (aarch64 preferred) and C
- Reasonable understanding of fundamental operating system internals such as virtual memory and schedulers
- Performance analysis of software (performance, debugging, etc), preferably in pre-silicon simulation or emulation environments
- Use of a UNIX environment and programming in Python, shell, etc
- Use of compilers such as gcc and llvm, targeting aarch64
- Excellent attention to detail
- Creativity and ability to communicate ideas efficiently
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills
What are the desired requirements for this role?
- Good understanding of computer architecture fundamentals
- Experience with workload/OS bring up or porting on a new architecture or platform
- Experience using performance counters and characterization tools
At Arm, we are proud to have a set of behaviors that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We, not I
Collaboration first, egos last.
•Start with long-term value to customers and partners, and work back from there.
•Collaborate, decide, commit, and bring people with you.
•Make the most of all the skills and knowledge across Arm; share information with those who need it.
•Care about the people around you.
Passion for progress
Innovation that enables our ecosystems, Arm and our people to thrive.
•Work with pace and judgement. Adapt to circumstances.
•Take risk in support of Arm's progress.
•Be accountable for the decisions you take. Learn from failure.
•Pursue innovation relentlessly.
Be your brilliant self
Skillful individuality, performance and fulfilment.
•Seek and embrace differences.
•Encourage curiosity and challenge.
•Give people trust and autonomy; show people they can trust you to do brilliant work in pursuit of Arm’s goals.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.