Job header section
Principal Toolchain Solutions Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Arm makes a significant investment in our partners success. This investment even extends to buildingdistributed software solutions to showcase our partners SOCs and accelerate their deploymentinthe Cloud andEdge Computingmarkets. Arm’s share in these markets is expanding rapidly and shows potential for extensivegrowth. Thesesolutions showcase the advantages that our partners bring to end customers through thecombination of Arm’s IP and their own differentiating technology.
TheToolchain Solutions Engineerleadsthe development ofCloud and Edge Computingsoftwaresolutionsintheinfrastructure market space.In this role you will be working with Arm stakeholders and key industry partners to define and develop distributed software solutions that meet partner requirements and specifications developed with the Product team.
The role is technical in nature and basedinthe United States, with a preference for theSeattle, Washingtonarea.
What will I be accountable for?
TheToolchain Solutions Engineerrolebringstogether the software and hardware technologiesneeded to build a workingdistributed software solution based onCloud and Edge Computing software andArm partnertechnologies. The goal here isto workwith partners todevelopsolutions,show end customers what’s possible using Arm technology,and showcasethevalue indeploying Arm in their infrastructure. The softwarewillinclude both open source and proprietarycode.
- Working closely with customers andotherArm Solutions Architects and Product Managers to identifyand develop solution concepts
- Working closely with architects and technology leads, directly engaging with internal and externalsoftware development teams to refine the concept into a set of engineering requirements
- Working with internal and external engineering teams to develop, demo, and deploysolutions
- Supporting Arm’s Product Marketing team in promotion ofsolutions for the Cloud and Edge
- Working across the complete value chain of end customers, manufacturers, and designers ofhardware, software and systems to bringhyperscale softwaresolutions together
- Work with our Go-to-Market and Product Marketing teams to support specific customeropportunities, including participating in customer meetings, sales meetings, and training
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
- Good understanding of x86/x64 and ARM64 architectures
- 5+ years of experience with Windows Internals, C/C++, Kernel-mode development, andcompilerinternalsand assembly language
- Experiencewith Azure, Git, Visual Studio,, GitHub and Azure DevOps
- 5+ years of professional technical experience in a relevant field using Windows andLinux
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Strong presentation,persuasive, and negotiation skills
- Excellent business judgement and the demonstrated ability to think and act both strategically and tactically
- Meticulous attention to detail:ability to multitask without compromising quality of work and delivery schedules.
- Must be comfortableworkingindependently with partners anddealing withuncertainty
- A natural problem solver who enjoys solving technical challenges
- Team player and the ability to work in a geographically diverse and dispersed global organization
Desirable Skills & Experience
- 10 years of software engineering experience from previous roles
- Proven experience developing Cloud and Edge computing solutions composed of Windows and Linux applications and languages such as .NET, Java, Node.js, Python, and PHP
- Hands on experience with developing anddeployingscale-outsolutions onMicrosoft Azureand other public cloud services
- Hands on experience with Container and Serverless technologies
- Experienced withSoftware project development and community interaction specifically targeted to scale-out workloads andapplications
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would beconsidered if they have relevant experience.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining howwe work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance isis crucial, share it.
Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
Be quirky not egocentric.
Recognize the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
Make trust our default position.
Hold strong opinions lightly.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.