Principal Systems Architect
We are looking to add a talented Infrastructure System IP Architect to our Central Technology Team. Arm develops interconnect and memory system IP that is at the heart of Arm-based systems in data centers and infrastructure applications. In this role you will define, investigate and develop technologies for this IP to enable it to address new challenges in this rapidly evolving market, meet the demanding requirements of our partners, keep pace with externally defined technologies, and through continuous innovation make it the best it can be.
Your job responsibilities will be diverse and may include architecture, technology research, hands-on prototyping and experimental investigations, engaging with product groups, working closely with engineering teams, and taking part in partner and customer engagements.
What will I be accountable for?
This challenging position will offer you the opportunity to work on the latest technology in a collaborative environment to:
- Design and develop systems architecture technology for products in new and existing markets.
- Define Arm IP component requirements to meet specific application needs.
- Guide and align development work taking place across multiple design teams.
- Define performance metrics and goals and work with the performance analysis team to refine the results, including expected latency and bandwidth targets, Quality of Service (QoS), device IO, and next generation memory technologies.
- Develop and improve tools for architectural exploration and performance analysis.
- Understand and analyse system level architectural trade-offs (including hardware, memory systems and system software).
- Work with architects to input into aspects of Arm architectures where needed to meet the latest challenges.
- Collaborate with the Arm engineering team to see your ideas delivered into products.
What skills, experience and qualifications do you need?
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Electrical/Computer Engineering, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Proven track record, with at least 7 years of industry experience in identifying and translating server requirements into system solutions and SoC designs
- Deep knowledge of Infrastructure system architecture requirements including server class power management techniques, high speed IO interfaces like PCIe and SATA, security, and external to SoC system monitoring and remote device management
- Deep understanding of system component inter-dependencies including memory and IO systems, and of systems-level performance modeling and analysis.
- Understanding of general-purpose CPU microarchitecture, including knowledge of areas such as processor pipelines, caches, memory hierarchy, and multi-processor systems.
- Understanding of system architecture impact on physical design and vice-versa.
- Proven ability to generate consistent, complete, and concise written specifications.
- Ability to build technical consensus across multiple teams and bring clarity to poorly defined and complex problems.
- Track record of independently identifying innovations and making them happen.
- Excellent communication (written, verbal, presentation) skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with cross-functional teams both locally and across sites.
- Motivated to continuously develop skills and accept a variety of responsibilities as part of contributing to Arm’s success.
- Some travel outside the US to Arm and customer sites may be required.
Desired behaviors for this role:
Arm is proud to have a set of behaviors that reflect our visionary culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and craft extraordinarily. These behaviors are assessed during the recruitment process:
We Not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual is responsible for the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is critical, share it
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for Progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and be responsible for your own progress
Be Your Brilliant Self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognize the power in saying ‘I don’t know
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.