Job header section
Principal Performance Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
We are looking for a hard-working and motivated individual to join Arm's Sales and Partner Enablement group! Our Applications Engineers help Arm's partners build real world applications based on Arm technology. Our partners scale from big semiconductor houses to small start-ups, and all of them are building new exciting products. This role gives the possibility to be on the forefront of technological evolution and accelerate innovation.
Applications Engineering is a multifaceted, deeply technical role, where you will not only use your expertise but your interpersonal skills to support our partners through their technical challenges. This role focuses on software solutions, workloads and their performance on server and network and similar applications.
Our application engineers work to understand what customers want to achieve, analyze their requests and issues and provide a solution that moves them forward. Your job role will have several components:
• Supporting Arm’s partners with software performance problems and functional issues on their Arm-based systems.
• Understand what hardware features impact performance for the workloads of interest, and how to best tune hardware and software to achieve the highest level of performance.
• Creating guidance for Arm’s partners and their customers for optimizing their Arm software workloads
• Training users to enable them to develop and optimize their Arm-based software applications
We will work together with you to allow you to enable developers to create efficient applications in the Arm infrastructure ecosystem. This is an opportunity to join us in the early stages of Arm's work in this area, and to make an impact in the market.
Key Technical Skills & Expertise
• Proven track record in application development, including C/C++ and assembly language development.
• Good understanding of the Linux kernel, including how to build
• Understanding of processor architecture, including cache behavior, and memory system behavior
• Experience with performance analysis and debug tools and applications, including perf().
• Excellent communications skills (both written and verbal)
Desirable Skills & Expertise
• Ability to work un-supervised, and be flexible about work assignments
• Ability to learn new processor and system features quickly
• Experience with the Arm or X86 Architecture and processors
• Experience with managed languages such as Java
• Experience doing performance analysis for common benchmarks and workloads, preferably with Arm software development tools.
• Experience doing customer presentations, both in person and remote
• Experience with RTL simulation tools
• Provide fast and accurate technical answers to customer questions around system and software performance issues
• Develop guidance and documentation for Arm software developers based on results from customer questions and internal investigation
• Work with engineers across multiple product groups, fields, and offices to help solve technical problems
• Help deliver customer training classes, both remotely and (possibly) in-person
• Develop tools and techniques to aid other Arm Application Engineers solve problems more efficiently.
• Work with Arm IP design and product management teams to improve partners experience and influence IP feature development
• Mentor junior members of the team
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.