Principal CPU Design Engineer - CoreApply now
Piece Together The World’s Most Powerful Puzzle
This world has a design. It’s infinite yet discoverable. Small yet powerful. Our design engineers must all at once predict it and create it. From implementation of the most advanced CPU, GPU and HPC processors on the planet to dreaming up every eventuality that could put our SoC and system IP to the test, we puzzle over the biggest questions of our time. And microarchitect the future.
Work At The Very Edge
At Arm, you’re in a position to influence 95% of the world’s connected devices and all of their applications. Healthcare, infrastructure, virtual reality… you’ll affect hundreds, if not thousands of industries worldwide, racing towards new milestones in human endeavour.
Learning And Development
Whether you want to learn a new programming language, explore your management potential or witness the latest innovations at industry conferences, we promise you both the freedom and the support to develop when you want it.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid four-week sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. So it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, our flexible progressive leave allows you to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform, Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy, so you can live life and be your brilliant self.
About the role
On this complementary team, we have an open and relaxed culture where best-in-class, creative engineers work together on significant projects. Our upbeat and collaborative team builds CPU designs that impact how people connect every single day.
Whether you consider yourself an experienced CPU micro-architect or an expert RTL design engineer, this role offers you ambitious and exciting responsibilities with forward-thinking colleagues and the ability to make an impact on our industry. At our Austin-based design center, you will join a small, rare and hardworking RTL design team developing the next generation Arm A-class microprocessors. You will contribute in all aspects of the microprocessor life cycle from developing the specification, defining the microarchitecture and coding the RTL design to deliver Arm's next high performance, energy efficient microprocessors to meet the demands of the market.
You will use ground breaking technologies and methodologies to ensure the highest quality products as you collaborate with other Arm engineering teams to build complete IP solutions to address the performance, power and cost requirements for almost all application markets.
What will you do?
- You own and develop CPU microarchitecture specification and design
- You handle Verilog RTL logic design and debug
- You work closely with engineers across performance modeling, validation, and implementation to meet all functional requirements, performance, power and area goals
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Minimum 3 years of post-degree work experience in processor RTL and microarchitecture design (think senior/staff types)
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer (in one of these fields or another relevant field) along with at least 5 years of confirmed experience may be substituted
What meaningful contributions do we favor in your prior experience?
- Domain expertise in various logic areas of CPU microarchitecture design – specifically areas associated with out-of-order processor design including: rename, instruction issue, commit, etc.
- High-performance, low-latency execution, high area-efficient and power-efficient processor design
- RTL design for multi-threaded, low-power microprocessors
- Hands-on experience using Verilog or VHDL HDL for design
- Designing for synthesis targeted to achieve specified power, frequency, and area targets
- Make good judgements on functionality, performance, and physical implementation trade-offs
- Scripting, e.g. with Perl, Python, etc.
What else is needed for you to consider before applying?
- The ability to travel occasionally for training and customer meetings
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and craft extraordinary:
We Not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual is responsible for the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion For Progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be Your Brilliant Self
- Be quirky not egocentric Recognize the power in saying ‘I don’t know’ Make trust our default position Hold strong opinions lightly.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life At Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.