Physical Design Methodology EngineerApply now
Piece Together The World’s Most Powerful Puzzle
This world has a design. It’s infinite yet discoverable. Small yet powerful. Our design engineers must all at once predict it and create it. From implementation of the most advanced CPU, GPU and HPC processors on the planet to dreaming up every eventuality that could put our SoC and system IP to the test, we puzzle over the biggest questions of our time. And microarchitect the future.
Work At The Very Edge
At Arm, you’re in a position to influence 95% of the world’s connected devices and all of their applications. Healthcare, infrastructure, virtual reality… you’ll affect hundreds, if not thousands of industries worldwide, racing towards new milestones in human endeavour.
Learning And Development
Whether you want to learn a new programming language, explore your management potential or witness the latest innovations at industry conferences, we promise you both the freedom and the support to develop when you want it.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid four-week sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. So it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, our flexible progressive leave allows you to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform, Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy, so you can live life and be your brilliant self.
About the Role
As an Arm Physical Design Methodology Engineer within the Integration HUB (IHUB) team, you will be building innovative integration techniques to enable best-in-class physical design on the latest process nodes! Our team has a diverse set of engineers working across five design centers globally, servicing both internal and external partners around the world. The primary role combines broad physical design skills with extensive scripting which supports all major EDA flows across a spectrum of advanced foundry technologies. You will have the opportunity to develop new PD techniques, building on our modular integration CAD framework. A key element of this role is interacting directly with IP architects, diving deep into the technology, and crafting robust approaches to physical design with PPA in mind. You will explore the latest technologies, enhancing their strengths and mitigating weaknesses, while interacting with some of the industry’s leading experts in deep submicron circuit design, PD implementation, and design-for-manufacturing techniques. Arm provides 401(k) and insurance offerings for this full-time role.
- Developing new and improved physical design techniques through innovative scripts, checkers, flows and other CAD based automation to simplify the design process!
- Ability to analyze and interpret physical design implementation results and identify issues with the physical IP, process technology, and/or EDA tool.
- Support and teach internal and external partners.
- Understand or have capacity to learn a wide variety of industry standard modeling formats including Liberty, Verilog, LEF, UPF, NDM, SPICE, and CDL.
- Collaborate with teams across Arm to perform root-cause analysis of issues and develop innovative solutions.
Required Skills and Experience :
- A BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other relevant technical fields.
- 6+ years design experience (for BSEE)
- 4+ years design experience (for MSEE)
- Knowledge of industry software for synthesis, automated place and route, EM-IR, timing analysis, and their associated programming languages and algorithms
- Strong scripting skills (Perl, TCL or equivalent)
- Examples of innovative, algorithmic problem solving
- Improve flows through iteration and repeated attempts to solve problems
“Nice To Have” Skills and Experience :
- Strong understanding of the algorithms used by EDA tools
- Familiarity with layout at the transistor level
- An understanding of semiconductor fabrication technology
- An ability to understand process Design Rule Manuals
Arm is at the heart of the world's most advanced digital products. Our technology enables the creation of new markets and transformation of industries and society. We design scalable, energy efficient-processors and related technologies to deliver the intelligence in applications ranging from sensors to servers, including smartphones, tablets, enterprise infrastructure and the Internet of Things.
Our innovative technology is licensed by Arm Partners who have shipped more than 50 billion Systems on Chip (SoCs) containing our intellectual property since the company began in 1990. Together with our Connected Community, we are breaking down barriers to innovation for developers, designers and engineers, ensuring a fast, reliable route to market for leading electronics companies
Equal Opportunities at Arm
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Hybrid Working at Arm
Arm’s hybrid approach to working is centred around flexibility, where we split our time between the office and other locations to get our work done. We empower groups/teams to determine their hybrid working pattern, with an expected minimum attendance in the office of 20% per month, depending on the work, level of experience and team’s needs. In some cases, the flexibility we can offer is limited by local legal, regulatory, tax, or other considerations, and where this is the case, we will collaborate with you to find the best solution.
Life At Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.