Intern, Research - Hardware Architecture
Internships at Arm
Most people know Arm and the scale at which our advanced core processors are changing the world. But not everyone knows our name. They do know our partners, though. Because those tiny processors are a driving force behind the biggest names in tech. Not only in Silicon Valley, but in 95% of the world's connected devices – from your smartphone to the world's fastest supercomputer.
What better place to get an internship? We put our trust in you to work on big, global projects because you'll have our world-class mentors on your side, giving you just the right combination of freedom and support. And what if you want to focus on becoming an expert in certain skills? We're with you there too – creating your own development roadmap paired with your choice workshops.
Research Internships 2021 –HardwareArchitecture
Arm is the industry's leading supplier of microprocessor technology providing efficient, low-power chip intelligence making electronic innovations come to life. Through our partners, our designs power everything from coffee machines to the fastest supercomputer in the world. Do you want to work on technology that enriches the lives of over 70% of the world’s population? Our internship program is now open for applications! We want to hear from curious and enthusiastic candidates interested in working with us on the future generations of compute.
About Arm and Arm Research
Arm plays a key role in our increasingly connected world. Every year, more than 10 billion products featuring Arm technology are shipped. Our engineers design and develop CPUs, graphics processors, complex system technologies, supporting software development tools, and physical libraries.
At Arm Research, we develop new technology that can grow into new business opportunities. We keep Arm up to speed with recent technological developments by pursuing blue-sky research programs, collaborating with academia, and integrating emerging technologies into the wider Arm ecosystem. Our research activities cover a wide range of fields from mobile and personal computing to server, cloud, and HPC computing. Our work and our researchers span a diverse range from circuits to theoretical computer science. We all share a passion for learning and creating.
Aboutour hardware architecture research
We are seeking highly motivated interns to join the Arm Research group to work on a variety of cutting-edge research for spring, summer, or fall-term placements. This is an opportunity to work alongside friendly and welcoming researchers defining the next stages of the Arm architecture and systems, and meaningfully contribute to ideas that will be at the heart of an ecosystem of more than one thousand partners that ship over 20 billion leading-edge Arm-powered processors each year.
Our architecture and systems research activities cover a wide range of disciplines including mobile and personal computing and applications; server, cloud, and HPC computing; emerging memory technologies; interconnects; throughput and vector computing; exploiting parallelism with vector, SIMD, throughput, and multicore architecture. We are looking for interns that are passionate about dreaming up innovations with the potential to change the future of compute.
Education & Qualifications
- Our interns typically pursueor PhD degrees in engineering and science, most commonly Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics, but we encourage applications from any field of study if you are motivated and feel your unique skills are relevant to what we do.
- We will also consider your application if you are pursuing an undergraduate or bachelor's degree and have relevant project or work experience.
Skills & Experience
- Strong problem-solving abilities and a strong interest in making your research useful to industry.
- Good knowledge of the architecture and micro-architecture of CPUs, GPUs, or accelerators, their memory subsystems, or other components in your chosen area of research.
- Programming experience in C, C++, Python and / or another modern language (Rust, Golang, Swift, …).
- Strong research skills: analytical thinking, designing experiments, clear communication of complex ideas; may have published in an academic conference or journal.
Desirable skills & Experience
- Knowledge of software workloads, benchmarking, and performance analysis with common performance profiling tools or simulators (e.g., gem5,, Pin).
- Experience of software-level parallelism and of memory consistency models and coherency protocols (and how they are implemented).
- Memory technologies such as DRAM, Flash, or emerging NVMs; memory address translation, memory encryption and integrity protection.
- Experience with high performance computing applications, runtimes, and libraries (MPI, PGAS, etc.)
- Knowledge of virtualization and related memory system optimization; Scale-up / scale-out interconnect.
- Knowledge of systems software (OS, runtimes, compilers).
- Expertise in power modeling and analysis.
Our internships and how to apply
We invite you to apply for an internship if your research interests align with ours and are enthusiastic about the type of work we do. As an Arm Research intern, you will get a first-hand view of how Arm crafts its technology and maintains an ecosystem of more than one thousand partners that have shipped over 170 billion leading-edge Arm-powered processors. We will work closely with you to develop an internship project that is tailored to your interests. Our internships are three months long with flexible start dates. We offer continuous support, feedback, and development opportunities as well as flexibility to decide how to complete project tasks.
You will work alongside experienced researchers within a specific team and also the wider research group doing real project tasks. We believe in developing talent for the future, so we seek to offer many of our interns a graduate position once they have finished their studies.
Please provide a cover note with your application; include some information about what you are interested in and the kind of projects you would like to work on. If you have a clear idea about the work you want to do, include it in your letter. It is okay not to be 100% sure! Tell us about your studies and what you enjoy, and we will try to find the right fit for you.
Arm Research recognizes that diverse and inclusive teams generate exceptional ideas and innovations critical to an outstanding research organization's success. We do not discriminate because of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
There's an open and casual atmosphere here that's so characteristic of Arm. We build spaces for continuous learning and creative expression. No matter the level of person you're approaching, they're always ready for a down-to-earth conversation. And it's easy to make friends with such a diverse network of graduates, interns and apprentices all sticking together. Because diversity is essential to how we innovate – one reason why we're promoting more women into leadership positions.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. So much so, there's virtually never a time or place we're not with you.