CPU Verification Engineer – HW AccelerationApply now
Test Our Limits. Your Limits.
Every day the world invents something new to put our chips to the test. You can do the same. Because verification at Arm goes way, way beyond debugging – it’s solving the novel problems behind tech that barely exists yet. It’s working at the bleeding edge of machine learning, simulation software, model checking and hardware prototyping systems. It’s thinking the unthinkable and being sure we’re ready for it.
Work At The Very Edge
At Arm, you’re in a position to influence 95% of the world’s connected devices and all of their applications. Healthcare, infrastructure, virtual reality… you’ll affect hundreds, if not thousands of industries worldwide, racing towards new milestones in human endeavour.
Learning And Development
Whether you want to learn a new programming language, explore your management potential or witness the latest innovations at industry conferences, we promise you both the freedom and the support to develop when you want it.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid four-week sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. So it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, our flexible progressive leave allows you to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform, Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy, so you can live life and be your brilliant self.
We are looking for an experienced FPGA / Embedded System engineer with a passion for methodology improvements to join Arm’s CPU verification team in Austin. Our group is a division of Arm's global CPU group and works on next-generation Cortex-A and Neoverse CPU designs.
In this role, you will be working closely with both verification and design engineers to push the limits of what can be done with FPGA prototyping. Potential areas of focus will include incorporating more synthesizable checks into the FPGA image, exploring ways to improve debug efficiency, and investigating ways to optimize the utilization of FPGA resources.
We develop sophisticated FPGA prototypes with techniques such as gated clock conversion and synthesizable models to build accurate representations of real-world systems. These FPGA images enable IP validation as well as software development to improve design quality and reduce time-to-market.
In addition to the above responsibilities, there will be opportunities to contribute to other areas of the team, in particular with tools and methodology.
Do you seek to:
- Advance FPGA prototyping techniques to enable design validation and software development.
- Be challenged and work with advancing technologies.
- Gain a deeper understanding of system architecture and performance.
- Work alongside many other teams including CPU / System IP designers, system architects, and physical chip layout/packaging engineers.
- Interact with design and verification team members to find ways to stress the CPU design.
- Participate in tools and methodology work to improve the team's efficiency
If so, this role is for you!
What will I be accountable for?
- Developing FPGA images with a focus on CPU verification, working with Arm’s latest IP products to build images most desired by the teammates
- Running and debugging issues with FPA images, including opportunities to become familiar with the intricacies of the system’s design
- Identifying and developing tool flows that improve the quality of our products and enable partner success
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience of FPGA synthesis tools, knowledge/experience of gated clock techniques and their impact on FPGA implementation.
- A proven understanding of which ASIC/SoC features can be implemented in FPGA and which cannot.
- Knowledge and expertise in debugging sophisticated designs and compute sub-systems.
- Working with the latest Xilinx UltraScale(+) devices and tools.
- Embedded software knowledge to test and debug designs.
- Use of a UNIX environment and shell programming/scripting in e.g. Tcl, Perl, Python etc.
- A creative and structured approach to problem-solving.
- Excellent communications & interpersonal skills.
- A desire for learning and self-improvement.
- Strong verification skills.
- Excellent written and spoken English; ability to write coherent documentation.
Desirable Skills and Experience
The following skills are not essential for this role, but experience in any of the following areas would improve your application:
- Implementation of PCIe root-port / end-points
- Use of Synopsys Proto-compiler and HAPS Hardware or similar multi-FPGA platform/tool-chains.
- Use of Synplify tool chain for single FPGA implementations.
- Experience in prototyping and debugging high-speed interfaces in FPGA
- Experience in implementing DDR memory sub-systems.
- Programming languages such as: assembly language (ideally Arm assembler), higher-level (e.g. C), object-orientated (e.g. C++)
- Experience in a technical leadership role.
At Arm, we are proud to have core beliefs that reflect our open culture and guide our decisions. Our beliefs define how we work together, and how we evaluate you. Here is a preview for you:
- We, Not I: Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive. Realize that we win when we collaborate - and that everyone misses out when we don't
- Passion for Progress: Difficult things can take unexpected directions; stick with it. The essence of progress is that it can’t stop; grow with it and lead your own progress.
- Be Your Brilliant Self: Be quirky, not egocentric. Make trust our default position.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life At Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.