Job header section
CPU Performance Architect
job navigation section
Hardware at Arm
You know us. With 125 Arm-powered products shipped every second, we'll be in a over a trillion smart devices by 2035. Your smartphone, award-winning VR gaming, the world's fastest supercomputer – our engineers are designing the advanced core processors leading the race towards a connected, autonomous, hyper-performance future.
So, we promise you endless opportunities to experiment and go even further in hardware. From advanced core implementation to full custom physical IPs, here you'll have our backing to push limits in vital areas such as memory, IO and logic.
One benefit we're really proud of is FlexPot; a sum of money on top of your salary (which is the same value regardless of your seniority) which you can use for charitable giving, development or your personal wellbeing. Ready to start that French language course you've always wanted to do? Or are you a keen gym-goer and want to use it for a membership? There's lots different of ways to enjoy your Flexpot.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service. You could even combine your FlexPot allowance with your sabbatical and volunteer overseas!
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
About this role
If you are a technical lead with engineering expertise in CPU microarchitecture, performance-model development, performance analysis, or workload analysis, we would like to talk with you about joining Arm’s highly successful CPU performance architecture team based in Austin. Our team plays a major role in crafting our next-generation Cortex-A class CPU designs and in enabling Arm partners to use our designs in world-class products. As a senior member of this expert team, you will own substantial and challenging performance projects
What types of projects will you accomplish?
- Collaborate with other members of the design team - primarily in Austin - to help design our next-generation CPU microarchitecture
- Lend your expertise across all Performance sub-disciplines: microarchitecture and performance model development, microarchitectural performance analysis, RTL/performance-model correlation, workload analysis, and workload development
- Engage with key partners at an engineering level to understand their future performance requirements, performance sensitivities, and workload expectations
- Help develop the team and be a mentor to engineers
- Interact with customers and other third parties to successfully communicate complex technical ideas, and participate in internal and customer meetings
What skills, experience and qualifications do you need?
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Electrical/Computer Engineering
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in microarchitecture-level performance modeling, CPU or system microarchitecture development, or workload/microarchitecture performance analysis (you don't need specific Arm-architecture expertise)
- An authority with microarchitecture at the level of CPU, system, and SoC
What would give you an edge?
We would like to talk with you, if:
- You have a proven track record in microarchitectural innovation – proposing new ideas, studying them in cycle-accurate simulators, and estimating impact on power & area
- You have passion for continuing to grow your expertise in CPU microarchitecture including both familiarity with and a curiosity about cycle-accurate simulators, functional simulators, workload analysis, bring-up tools, and more
- You love advanced software engineering such as design patterns, profiling, and programming in multiple languages
- You strive to achieve wining solutions and demonstrate enthusiasm, drive and diligence especially with your team and customers
- You build positive relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
- You have a drive for continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others
- You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver impactful results
At Arm, we are proud to have core beliefs that reflect our open culture and guide our decisions. Our beliefs define how we work together, and how we evaluate you. Here is a preview for you:
We, not I
Collaboration first, egos last.
•Start with long-term value to customers and partners, and work back from there.
•Collaborate, decide, commit, and bring people with you.
•Make the most of all the skills and knowledge across Arm; share information with those who need it.
•Care about the people around you.
Passion for progress
Innovation that enables our ecosystems, Arm and our people to thrive.
•Work with pace and judgement. Adapt to circumstances.
•Take risk in support of Arm's progress.
•Be accountable for the decisions you take. Learn from failure.
•Pursue innovation relentlessly.
Be your brilliant self
Skillful individuality, performance and fulfilment.
•Seek and embrace differences.
•Encourage curiosity and challenge.
•Give people trust and autonomy; show people they can trust you to do brilliant work in pursuit of Arm’s goals.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.