Job header section
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
One benefit we're really proud of is FlexPot; a sum of money on top of your salary (which is the same value regardless of your seniority) which you can use for charitable giving, development or your personal wellbeing. Ready to start that French language course you've always wanted to do? Or are you a keen gym-goer and want to use it for a membership? There's lots different of ways to enjoy your Flexpot.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service. You could even combine your FlexPot allowance with your sabbatical and volunteer overseas!
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Senior Embedded Software Engineer to work in our Open Source Software Team at our locations in Cambridge or Manchester
The Open Source Software (OSS) team is responsible for developing and improving the software eco-system around Arm's next generation of applications processors.
As a senior member of the Open Source Software Group you will have the opportunity to build upon your existing background, knowledge and expertise and lead development of Solutions catering to different segments such as Mobile/Server/IoT/Automotive, which become reference designs for futuristic devices in the market.
You will join a team of Software Developers who all share a passion for wanting to stamp their mark on the future of computing platforms
We seek individuals with exposure and knowledge of System software stack ranging from BareMetal firmware, bootloaders, Kernel and Distros.
If you are similarly passionate about cutting edge technologies, then we want to hear from you!
- Your day to day role will involve leading technical development of enterprise and IoT based edge reference solutions for future Arm devices
- Plan and deliver based on roadmap requirements, along with Project and Technology Managers
- Stakeholder engagement with various groups within Arm
- Provide technical advice and direction to both Arm's, and Arm Partners' platform implementation projects
- Mentoring of team members
- As an active member of an extended development team you can expect to be working face to face with some of the greatest household names in our industry
- You would be helping to develop, optimize and deliver the software needed to support Arm's groundbreaking IP, as well as helping Arm grow its role in new embedded and enterprise market segments.
Essential Skills & Qualities
- University degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have appropriate experience.
- Proven experience in embedded software development on various platforms, including software models, pre-silicon emulation and development boards
- Expertise in low level systems and a command over a range of related concepts such as bootloaders, device drivers, OS fundamentals preferably Linux, low level power management, developing secure system
- Excellent C skills! some assembly programming skills with proficiency with the GNU toolchain and/or LLVM and cross compiling
- Your strong interpersonal skills are vital for success; we are looking for excellent written and spoken English. Do you have the capability to support key partners with their internal development programs?
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic, and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a dedication to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge
Desirable Skills & Qualities
- Knowledge of hypervisors (e.g. KVM), container runtimes, userspace networking using DPDK
- Server software experience, including RAS, Secure Boot, BMC management
- Experience with standard firmware implementations: e.g. UEFI, U-Boot or LinuxBoot
- Development experience with Interconnects like PCIe, CCIX, CMN
- Experience of software profiling, instrumentation, and optimization
- Good understanding of test methodologies, CI and test automation
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Python or Shell scripting
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.