Job header section
Software Test Lead - Embedded
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
One benefit we're really proud of is FlexPot; a sum of money on top of your salary (which is the same value regardless of your seniority) which you can use for charitable giving, development or your personal wellbeing. Ready to start that French language course you've always wanted to do? Or are you a keen gym-goer and want to use it for a membership? There's lots different of ways to enjoy your Flexpot.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service. You could even combine your FlexPot allowance with your sabbatical and volunteer overseas!
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Software Test Lead - Embedded. Newly created role to lead a new team at arm's Global Headquarters in Cambridge.
The Arm Open-Source Software (OSS) group is responsible for developing and improving the software eco-system centred around Arm’s next generations of processor technology. We enable our partners to build software on Arm IP-based systems. We develop and upstream to open-source projects, providing essential reference implementations and optimizations to key software system components. We also produce validated software stacks for Arm IP-based reference platforms aimed at a variety of use cases. Our contributions range from low level firmware, through kernel enablement and optimizations, to enabling and optimizing high level workloads such as Open JDK on Arm IP, as one example
- We are looking for a highly capable security biased test professional, to lead a small software testing team to work in The Open Source Software Group, at Arm's Global Headquarters in Cambridge
- You must be familiar with test phases such as unit, integration, system, exploratory, performance, UAT, with a specific emphasis on security testing
- You must have experience developing software, either as part of your work, or hobby. Embedded software experience is desired.
- You must have a full understanding of what it takes to build a CI Pipeline from a testing perspective.
As a test team leader, you will help construct and lead your team, gaining its trust through effective mentorship and guidance, understanding that not everyone is equal, everyone has their own set of strengths. You have a natural analytical way of thinking and producing quality work goes without saying.
If you are passionate about Software QA to these needs, then we want to hear from you.
Job Requirements Summary
Building and leading a software verification and validation testing team for the OSS engineering group, with a particular emphasis on discovering security breaches. This team will, daily, be coding tests in Python, involved in Yokto build validation, running static and dynamic tests, brainstorming from a functional, non-functional and security perspective, and be involved in Jenkins, Gerrit, and Git tasks, all centred around Linux based software stacks.
Follow verification and validation processes consistently to help deliver validated production-ready software releases to high quality standards. This involves researching appropriate tooling options to achieve the desired levels of testing, management, mentorship, and career development of your team, helping to drive cross-team and cross-function testing initiatives, and defect management duties
Essential Skills, Qualifications & Qualities:
- Security testing, and security test planning experience
- Exposure to static and dynamic code analysis tools
- ISTQB Test Foundation certification, or ISEB equivalent
- Demonstrable Software testing experience, most of that in lead positions
- Prior project experience on embedded systems software verification testing & validation testing
- A track record of leading a test team delivering verified and validated software releases
- Experience in development and the use of rigorous CI, software test frameworks and automation tools.
- We expect a professional, hardworking, and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a dedication to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge.
- You will exhibit an understanding of how to rigorously test software using various techniques
Desirable Skills, Qualifications & Qualities:
- You are familiar with and flexible in the use of various software development lifecycle methodologies including Agile
- We value familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes.
- Functional safety testing for safety critical systems, knowledge of ISO 26262.
- Basic understanding of computer architecture, micro-architecture concepts and assembly language - ideally for the Arm architecture and its ecosystem
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.