Job header section
Senior FPGA Implementation Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
We are looking for experienced FPGA / Embedded System Engineer to join Arm’s Hardware Platform team on a permanent basis. The team is based in Cambridge, UK and are working at the forefront of embedded design based around Arm IP products!
The team is responsible for:
Crafting and releasing the latest Arm IP technologies in FPGA images, enabling pre-silicon software and ecosystem development, reducing time to market!
Crafting physical hardware development platforms, based around Arm’s custom system-on-chip (SoC) and FPGAs. The platforms are used for software development and validation activities for both our external partners/customers and our internal development teams.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need:
Design Skills & Qualities:
- Experience in the implementation of ASIC/SoC RTL in FPGA, including gated clocks and memory implementation.
- Outstanding knowledge and expertise in debugging sophisticated designs.
- Experience of FPGA vendor and EDA implementation flows.
- Experience of high-speed interfaces in FPGA.
- Outstanding knowledge of FPGA synthesis process as well as place and route.
- Outstanding knowledge of Vivado and/or EDA tool chains for FPGA synthesis.
- Outstanding knowledge of Vivado for place and route to produce timing clean implementations.
Verification/Validation Skills and Qualities:
- Programming languages such as: assembly language (ideally Arm assembler), higher-level (e.g., C), object-orientated (e.g. C++)
- Embedded software knowledge to test and debug designs.
- Use of a UNIX environment and shell programming/scripting in e.g., TCL, Perl, Python etc.
- Knowledge of hardware/software debuggers and hardware, familiarity with Arm CoreSight host target debug.
- Verilog and SystemVerilog skills for design and verification.
Desirable Skills and Qualities:
- Experience of Arm IP products and standards.
- Experience of DDR/PCIe controllers in SoC or FPGA.
- Knowledge of sophisticated FPGA hardware debug methodologies.
- Experience of multi-FPGA prototyping, ideally with Synopsys Protocompiler and HAPS hardware
- Excellent communications & interpersonal skills.
- A desire for learning and self-improvement
- Excellent written and spoken English; can write coherent documentation
- Working with version control and project management/bug tracking systems such as SVN/Git and Jira.
Arm Core Beliefs
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual has the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is essential, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength - widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and be responsible for your own progress
Be your brilliant self
- Be your brilliant self, be quirky not egocentric, recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
With offices around the world, Arm is full of diverse, dedicated, creative and hard-working engineers. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we support our people to share their contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.