Job header section
Performance Analysis Engineer
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Are you passionate about understanding the performance of mobile and large screen computing devices and keen to influence the future of client computing? We are seeking an engineer with a strong sense of ownership who will reliably produce informative data and analytics from devices running complex workloads on a variety of mobile operating systems.
About the role:
You will help develop our existing automation infrastructure specifically to increase the quality and efficiency of data capture and analysis which enables engineers across Arm to perform performance analysis experiments and regression tests.
You will work with the newest technology available from Arm and our partners, using test platforms such as consumer devices, evaluation boards and software models to compare present and future performance.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Reliable production of high-quality performance data using multiple automation, tooling, and instrumentation frameworks
- Management and integration of the group’s automation capabilities
- Development of automated workloads for mobile devices such as Android smartphones and tablets
- Regular integration of new devices and platforms
- Regression testing of workloads across a range of devices and the careful management of software and application updates
Skills, experience and qualifications which are useful for the role:
We are looking for people with some but not necessarily all the following
- Experienced in capturing performance data on client devices (Android, iOS, or Windows) and designing experiments to better understand the performance bottlenecks.
- Experienced using CI and modern infrastructure systems such as Jenkins, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch and more.
- Scripting experience with Shell and Python (or equivalents)
- University degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, although other disciplines will also be considered with relevant experience.
It would be helpful to also have:
- Proven experience in automation, on any mobile operating system (such as Android )
- Application developer experience (ideally Windows/iOS/Android) to create and maintain test workloads
- Confident using version control systems, such as Git
- Practical electronics experience using tools such as soldering irons, multi-meters and oscilloscopes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Creative, independent, ambitious, and willing to learn new technology
- Willingness to be flexible and accept new challenges
About the team:
Our team of highly motivated engineers help ensure that Arm maintains its leadership in mobile computing. Using detailed competitive analysis, workload characterisation and sophisticated software modelling, we successfully influence internal engineering teams and guide partners to build the most performant devices.
We focus on how a user perceives the performance, in terms of responsiveness, smoothness, energy and thermal efficiency. We explore how improvements in processor, memory and SoC design maximise the end user experience.
Our engineers have a diverse range of skills and experience allowing us to expertly understand software from to firmware, and device-level hardware through to the detailed microarchitecture.
You will enjoy working in a collaborative environment, working closely with internal CPU, GPU, and software teams, as well as OS vendors, OEMs and silicon partners.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
- We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
- Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
- Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.