Job header section
Principal Technical Author (Information Developer)
job navigation section
Software Engineering at Arm
You might not think you know us, but you do. Our software is all over Silicon Valley. In fact, it's right in the palm of your hand. Because the biggest names in tech, from your smartphone brand to the makers of the world's fastest supercomputer look to us for the most powerful advanced core processors.
When you think about what software development can stretch to at Arm, from physical IP to machine learning, you'll wonder why you didn't apply sooner. The real-world applications for our technology are so massive, your work will influence the lives up to 70% of the global population, whether it's through award-winning VR gaming or life-enhancing medical equipment. Here you'll develop a better, connected future.
Learning and Development
We encourage our people to upskill as much as they want with a comprehensive learning and development package which includes technical development, mentoring, internal and external conferences, tech talks, and donut sessions. Whether you want to learn a new programming language, upskill your excel skills or read the latest articles on Microprocessor reporting we are with you to Spark the worlds potential.
We'll always encourage you to take plenty of annual leave, so you stay fresh and inspired. But you know what really does it? When we encourage you to take an extended, paid 4 weeks' sabbatical after 4 years of service.
You're a human being, not a resource. And so it's important to us that we're there for you at significant points in your life. That's why we offer flexible progressive leave. Whether you're having kids, acting as a primary care giver or have lost a loved one, you'll be able to put your family first without worrying about your career.
We create a safe space for you to look after your mental and physical health, with support ranging from medical insurance to the workplace mental health platform Unmind. Alongside a growing number of onsite gyms, yoga, cycling and running clubs. All of which comes with a flexible working policy to ensure you can live life and be your brilliant self.
Are you a hardworking and an experienced technical author who wants to work on ground-breaking digital technology??
If so, this role could be the next step in your career, let's discuss you joining Arm's diverse mix of technical authors and software engineers in the Architecture Information Group (AIG).
We hire outstanding, talented people from a broad range of backgrounds, because we truly believe that diversity drives innovation!!
AIG belongs to the Arm Architecture and Technology Group and is responsible for documenting the IP that constitutes the Arm CPU Architecture. The Architecture encompasses a broad spectrum of product areas from the smallest microcontrollers to high-performance computing cores, and involves specifications for processing elements, compliant software development, debug and trace support, security, and other aspects of the Arm computer architecture.
We are looking for a well-established technical author with a passion for writing and technology. You will assist in transforming complex technical concepts and specifications into user-oriented information for a wide technical audience. Collaboratively, this team will influence various functions as well as work closely with our teams and domain experts.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone creative and innovative, self-motivated through curiosity, and who is willing to learn, lead, and have the determination to make a difference in our team.
What I will be accountable for:
- Crafting and maintaining content for the Arm Architecture Reference Manual (the Arm ARM) in line with Arm quality standards, ensuring a high level of comprehension and consistency.
- Collaborating with architects and internal experts in order to understand the specifications and generate high quality content.
- Delivering regular updates in product release cycles to the expected schedule, quality, and scope.
- Working closely with other senior members to coach and mentor the team to develop their skills and expertise.
- Collaborating with the various development teams and key internal partners to establish and continuously improve the quality of new and existing additions to the Architecture Reference Manual.
- Assisting in the development of methodologies for enhancing content validation.
- Supporting the establishment of a proactive approach for an effective sustainable quality assurance strategy.
Essential skills and experience:
The skill we most value is your ability to learn and grow within the job, and the passion to use your knowledge to help your colleagues. Your success in this position is almost guaranteed if you possess the following crucial skills and know-how:
- Consistent track record in technical writing of documentation with highly technical content.
- Superb communication skills and interpersonal skills, demonstrated by facilitating team engagement and interaction.
- Strong stakeholder leadership skills and the ability to influence during discussions to achieve the desired outcome.
- An analytical mind, and an ability to explain technical concepts to a wide audience.
- Effective line leadership skills, having coached or led a team.
- An understanding of the end-to-end development lifecycle, from requirements capturing to validation and deployment.
Some previous exposure or awareness of CPU architecture would be an advantage and Software development with knowledge of at least one of the following areas: Python, XML, JSON
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.
Life at Arm
Life in the office doesn't get any better. Especially when those offices are as sleek as ours. And the people are as creative and intuitive. Combine that with our popular ‘we, not I' mindset and you enjoy the kind of teamwork and togetherness rarely found elsewhere. We share so much in common, not least the same passion for progress, but we also welcome each other's diversity. Because, ultimately, we love to inspire and be inspired every day.
Everything Made Possible
Just how far do the possibilities of Arm's tech stretch? AI, Machine Learning, IoT… billions of people use our technology every day, spanning countless nations, industries and applications. Most people run their lives on Arm technology. So, you see: you really do know us.