job navigation section
Arm is the industry's leading supplier of microprocessor technology providing efficient, low-power chip intelligence making electronic innovations come to life. Through our partners, our designs power everything from coffee machines to the fastest supercomputer in the world. Do you want to work on technology that enriches the lives of over 70% of the world’s population? Our internship programme is now open for applications! We want to hear from curious and enthusiastic candidates interested in working with us on the future generations of compute.
About Arm and Arm Research
Arm plays a key role in our increasingly connected world. Every year, more than 20 billion products featuring Arm technology are shipped. Our engineers design and develop CPUs, graphics processors, sophisticated system technologies, supporting software development tools, and physical libraries.
At Arm Research, we develop new technology that can grow into new business opportunities. We keep Arm up to speed with recent technological developments by pursuing blue-sky research programmes, collaborating with academia, and integrating emerging technologies into the wider Arm ecosystem. Our research activities cover a wide range of fields from mobile and personal computing to server, cloud, and HPC computing. Our work and our researchers span a diverse range from circuits to theoretical computer science. We all share a passion for learning and creating.
About the architecture group and our work
As a research group focused on architecture, we work at the boundary of software and hardware; we analyse novel applications and use-cases to invent ways of improving their performance, security, efficiency, or ease of use. This can be through instruction set enhancements, memory system optimisation, or even ground-breaking alterations to the underlying micro-architecture of fundamental compute elements while also considering power efficiency, area, compiler targetability, and related objectives.
Are you passionate about dreaming up innovations that have the potential to change the future of compute? We are offering internships across the computer architecture stack, such as:
- Architecture enhancement, from analysis and categorisation of new / novel applications through to the design of efficient instruction set for handling these applications.
- Micro-architecture innovations enabling new generations of cores, caches, predictive structures, accelerators, interfaces, and more.
- Domain-specific acceleration, from investigating programming models and abstractions, to workload analysis and characterization, through to co-design of compilers and accelerators for these domains.
- Compiler design for auto-parallelization, next-gen vectorization, and / or heterogeneous systems.
- Simulation of Concurrent, Reactive and Event Driven Systems, investigating performance bottlenecks and proposing architectural, software, or system-level solutions to address these.
- Security, encryption, and integrity protection in the core, system, or memory hierarchy.
- Compute-near-data abstractions, and data-movement-optimised memory hierarchies.
Our interns typically pursue Masters or PhD degrees in engineering and science, most commonly Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics, but we encourage applications from any field of study if you are motivated and feel your unique skills are relevant to what we do.
We will also consider your application if you are pursuing an undergraduate or bachelor's degree and have relevant project or work experience.
Skills and Experience
- Good knowledge of the architecture and micro-architecture of CPUs, GPUs, or accelerators, their memory subsystems, or other components in your chosen area of research
- Programming experience in C, C++, Python and / or another modern language like Rust, Golang, Swift, or others
- Strong research skills: analytical thinking, designing experiments, clear communication of sophisticated ideas; may have published in an academic conference or journal
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Understanding of instruction set architecture and fundamentals of CPU micro-architecture
- Software workloads, benchmarking, and performance analysis with common performance profiling tools or simulators (e.g. gem5, SimpleScalar, DynamoRIO, pin)
- Experience of software-level parallelism and of memory consistency models and coherency protocols and how they are implemented
- Memory technologies such as DRAM, Flash, or emerging non-volatile memories
- Memory address translation, memory encryption and integrity protection
- Software or hardware verification using SMT solvers, such as Z3, CVC4, or similar
Our internships and how to apply
We invite you to apply for an internship if your research interests align with ours and are enthusiastic about the type of work we do. As an Arm Research intern, you will get a first-hand view of how Arm crafts its technology and maintains an ecosystem of more than one thousand partners that have shipped over 170 billion innovative Arm-powered processors. We will work closely with you to develop an internship project that is tailored to your interests. Our internships are three months long with flexible start dates. We offer continuous support, feedback, and development opportunities as well as flexibility to decide how to complete project tasks.
You will work alongside experienced researchers within a specific team and also the wider research group doing real project tasks. We believe in developing talent for the future, so we seek to offer many of our interns a graduate position once they have finished their studies.
Please provide a cover note with your application; include some information about what you are interested in and the kind of projects you would like to work on. If you have a clear idea about the work you want to do, include it in your letter. It is okay not to be 100% sure! Tell us about your studies and what you enjoy, and we will try to find the right fit for you.
Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.